Caravanning with dogs

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Sersi, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

SO, having been a life-long camper I have abandoned my canvas routes for the comfier bed, running water and in-house toilet that a caravan offers (shame on me).

Digby is in no way trustworthy enough at 9 months (and very chewy) to spend the night out of his crate, the crate will not fit in the caravan so would have to be in the awning overnight. has anybody done this? assuming we won't be using it in the depths of winter would he be warm enough?

any experiences of camping / caravanning with dogs (especially young ones)?

we want to take our new "toy" for a test weekend next month before we go gadding off to France for our main summer holiday.

2. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

Re: Caravanning with dogs

i wouldn't of thought it would be to cold, :) i took my boy out of the crate at around 4 month. he might surprise you and be a good boy :)

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I'm sure he wouldnt be too cold outside (especially not in France). I would just be nervous of someone 'liberating' him from his crate in the night... :-\

4. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

I never even thought of that Karen, that would be dreadful.

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

If he settles in his bed in the evenings he might sleep happily near you inside without a crate......

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

You could padlock it Karen......?once my parents got dogs they bought a caravan ,whatever age the dogs they slept inside with them ( wasn't so bad when it was cockers but think it got to be a squeeze once they got onto red setters! And always 2!)I will ask mum if there was any chewing?hope Digby lies down in the car? If we were taking Dexter he would stand up the whole way to France! :-\

7. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

or get a taste for sleeping on us Barbara!!!

He is on his tod downstairs in his crate during the night and we are all upstairs - we have a stairgate and he is not allowed up at all ('tis the land of the grumpy cat up there).

Digby is pretty good at laying down. We went to the Loire during half term (although stayed in a gite not camping) and took Digby. Total car time was just over 10 hours, although with plenty of stops. Digby was a lot better behaved than the children ;D
    He was brilliant on the way back - as if he knew that this was his lot and he would get somewhere eventually.

Padlock's not a bad idea - would mean someone would need to take the whole cage. I'd like to try him inside the van - if he chews anything though hubbie would be seriously unimpressed. Caravan is a much bigger investment that our camping kit.