Cassie's stop mugging me log.

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by selina27, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Something might have 'spooked' her there that you are unaware of. Is it worth if possible just boycotting this area for a while and return to at some future time?

2. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

It has crossed my mind, I half thought of doing that but didn't, I don't know what it is quite, probably never will. It could be one of several things.

3. selina27

Yes clearly there is some sort of association in her mind about something.
    I think a boycott is the only answer. It 's a bit of a nuisance, but in a couple of weeks the barley in the field below will be cut so I can go home that way.

4. selina27

It's been a variable few days, it's become clear now that this bad behaviour is about not wanting to finish the walk or being in new situation. She started to do it yesterday in the woods, which is the first time. I had a good chat to a lovely behaviourist yesterday. It seems likely to be caused by hormonal imbalance plus frustration and overstimulation. Even just doing some retrieving in the garden or today hand touch has sparked a zoomie fit. So I have to continue with the standing on lead --I have to wear leather boots and a tough coat in this heat wave :) And change her food :( which I find a minefield. But is probably sensible.
    Challenging times :) But I still love her, she's so gorgeous, I must find a way through this.

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Yes and you are. you are finding her triggers and stopping her at her flash points. That's amazing in such a short time.:)

selina27 likes this.
  6. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Well you will find a way through it but it seems really tough. Why do you have to change her food? I hope you are able to make the most of the quiet times.

7. selina27

@Atemas it is quite tough, but at least now I can make sense of it and know what to do. I will just have to apply myself to it, I tell myself that in 2 yrs time this will be a distant memory. There are plenty of quiet times when she is her beautiful self. :)
    The idea of changing food is that something in her diet could be triggering over the top behaviour, a bit like E numbers for some kids. To be honest, with a horse it's the first thing I'd think of.

8. selina27

9. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Oh crumbs selina27, you are really being given the hardest challenge. Good for you that you are so determined to get through this. Such a difficult situation if this awful behaviour is caused by a hormonal imbalance. As you say, your girl is not being 'her' and I send you gentle hugs for all you are doing. Roll on the breakthrough x

selina27 likes this.
  10. SwampDonkey

Do you think you will spay her ?

11. selina27

Yes, definitely. She had her booster last week, so I discussed it. In a couple of months time will be the right time, and he wants her to lose another kilo.

12. SwampDonkey

Hopefully that will help her, I think it did Moo

13. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I understand. Having changed both dog's food not all that long ago, it's difficult to decide on what and then do the transition. At least you have a plan of action now.

selina27 likes this.
  14. selina27

@SwampDonkey

Yes. I feel so bad because I honestly had no idea of the effect of phantom pregnancy, thinking it would be over in a week! When I see her now, her teats are really small compared to how swollen her mammary tissue was, the harness must have been irritating her or even been painful. And I mistook restlessness for needing more to do, and did new things with her, when all she was trying to do was look after puppies that didn't exist. No wonder she's been fractious, no way would that happened with real puppies. I could cry.

But now I think she's learnt that she can be naughty!

15. SwampDonkey

Oh they don't need to learn that she's woman and we are independent creatures. Its been hard on you both. Its onwards and upwards, you have done all you could once you understood what was happening. The nice thing about them is they can forgive so forgive yourself it will be ok. We all make mistakes.:hug:

selina27 likes this.
  16. selina27

Thanks @FayRose , for your good wishes. The thing is I just have to focus on getting on top of this. I had hoped that we would be going out and about to local fun shows this summer, but I will have to go cautiously if at all in the short term. So I continue to work on recall and I think loose lead walking.
    The wood in which I walk daily has a track up the centre which I can drive up in my 4x4, which means I have less need for lead walking, but I plan to leave the vehicle gradually closer to the way out overtime. It would probably help to walk with another dog to if I can plan it. It's great actually as I have a dodgy knee, so it's quick access to the area of off lead walking!
    So I'm using a back to basics approach. She's beautiful and bright and will be worth it in the end.

17. selina27

@Atemas, the behaviourist recommended Akela, which is as pricey as you can get :( hey-ho.
    I don't actually know what I would be looking for or not looking for, in terms of ingredients that might trigger this behaviour, so I might as well try it.

18. SwampDonkey

Can you ask why it was recommended then compare it to some others. ? There are loads of foods out there.

selina27 likes this.
  19. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would also ask a few more questions about this particular food that was recommended to you. I had never heard of it before so I looked it up on google. It contains a whopping 39 % protein and a very high fat content. I am not a dietitian but that seems a very high protein level to me.

selina27 and SwampDonkey like this.
  20. selina27

Yes absolutely, I have done this, and I'm waiting for the reply.