Castration (again!)

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by simonD, Feb 28, 2019.

1. simonD

simonD Registered Users

I have posted on this s topic before, probably like thousands of others. I have a 3yr old black boy -sweetest temperament BUT every now and again if he scents bitch on heat, he will pester any dog that has a pulse, mainly neutered males and of course bitches. I am now seriously thinking about castration. The reason for not having already done it is that we have an unusual vet here in Sussex who advises against castration wherever possible. Reason being, in his opinion, that dogs are generally healthier left intact - I also agree with this. However, he is a family pet, we are not planning to breed from him, so I'm weighing up pros and cons. We live in a fairly busy area and everyone walks their dogs in the local field - it is this field where all the trouble happens. Unfortunately, I can't take him to the countryside every day, so he does really have to fit in with the neighbours, so to speak. My questions are whether this behaviour is likely to subside as he gets older? And ,secondly, whether this chemical castration is a good idea to try 1st. And indeed, anyone who feels v strongly I shouldn't castrate. Funnily enough our last dog, also a black lab (unrelated), had similar issue along with sexual dominance - we took risk, castrated him -problem solved immediately. Never had this with other male labs- maybe coincidence unless black boys notorious?
    I am really grateful for the comments/advice I receive here
    thank you