Cat pouches- puppy treats

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by labl0ver, Nov 5, 2018.

1. labl0ver

labl0ver Registered Users

hi, heard someone using cat food pouches as a convenient way of providing treats on the go, is this generally safe ?

2. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Do you mean using pouches of wet food? Yes, you can use these safely by squeezing some food out the top and letting the pup eat that bit.

But I also recommend putting wet food in a beaker, like an Addis beaker, and using a plastic toddler spoon to give some to the pup each time. Then you can use sardines and pate...

3. labl0ver

labl0ver Registered Users

thanks Jo, I need to get some high grade treats, just using his regular kibble at the moment so he must be getting a bit bored. He's 11 weeks now and a great little chap, mixes well with other dogs, learning a few commands, just need to teach him to stop pulling on his lead and we will be firing on all cylinders. Sardines and pate..... and a toothbrush, yuk. :)

4. Jo Laurens

Sardines and pate are great for recalls.

For training other behaviours away from the house, I use cheddar cheese, diced; or any roast meat, chopped up; or liver or hearts or kidneys - just cover with water and boil. (Drain the water but keep it to pour over food... Lots of nutrients in there, from the organ meat... ). I don't use frankfurters, ham or processed meats anymore. I used to, but am too concerned over added nitrites and sugars now.

5. Bud Light/Dilly Dilly

Bud Light/Dilly Dilly Registered Users

So you just give your dog the sardines from the can?? And chedder cheese? lol sounds easy enough. Never would have thought of that. I can give that a try. I asked a similar question in another thread regarding tasty treats for distracting environments, so this helps.

6. Jo Laurens

I wouldn't give the sardines from the can because the dog could cut their tongue on the can. Put the sardines in a plastic zip lock bag at the very least, but preferably put them in an Addis screw top beaker and feed them using a plastic toddler spoon...

Bud Light/Dilly Dilly likes this.