Cats and Dogs

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by LoopyLuna, Feb 10, 2019.

1. LoopyLuna

LoopyLuna Registered Users

Does anyone have any tips for achieving domestic bliss between a cat and a dog? Or just some level of civility?

We’ve a stressed but normally placid 6 year old cat, a 10 month old lab pup Luna. We’re currently managing dog-cat relations with a gate (dog in kitchen, cat the rest of the house), but I’d rather Luna learn the right way to behave so the cat can come through the kitchen to get to the cat flap We’d also like Luna to have more freedom downstairs in a month or two so the gate won’t always be closed.

Sometimes she’s great - if she’s really chilled out then she’ll just lie in her bed and watch the cat jump through the kitchen and out of the cat flap. If she’s in the middle of a training session and focused on me/treats then she’s also fine.

I’ve taken to having a treat pot on the table with higher value kibble which I’ll deploy if I spot the cat at the gate trying to get in. I’ll try and get Luna’s attention back on me with these while the cat leaves the kitchen which often works but as soon as the cat’s gone and Luna’s had the treat, she bolts to the gate jumping up and trying to get at the cat who’s now snarling on the other side and swiping with her claws.

Is it a matter of persevering, or does anyone have any experience of other ideas we could try? Or just a word of reassurance that things will work themselves out when the pup has matured?

LAS and Jade like this.
  2. Jade

Jade Registered Users

We have three dogs and two cats. We've always just let it happen naturally. Our cats are pretty much okay with the dogs. Although the two little ones like to chase . We have a walk through gate separating the two back rooms from the rest of the house.. The cats have plenty of room to roam plus it keeps the dogs out. Our situation is a bit different though as our cats are strictly indoor.

3. Dandan111

Dandan111 Registered Users

I have a French Boston that is 24/7 on a cat hunt. Our new lab pup shows love towards the cats. I think jades right, it has to be sort of natural because the cat can be as much a problem as the dog really. I know my French is never going to be
    a cat guy. My cats are barn cats, pretty wild. They don't want any dog friends.

Edp likes this.
  4. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

I think what you're doing sounds good. We have same set up, (dog kitchen, cat rest of house). He gets treats for ignoring the cat when she walks through the kitchen. Weve had him over a year now and it's hardly domestic bliss (old dog would share bed with cat or lie on the floor to avoid disturbing her) but no harm has come to either of them.

5. LAS

LAS Registered Users

I am also interested in this advice. Our pup Poppy is 3 months and the cat is 3 years. Previously, our old dog was so cat friendly and lived harmoniously with our cats. Now our pup wants to chase and play. And the cat will 'take' the pup on. It is really not relaxing. The cat doesnt help the cause as he could remove himself to other parts of the house where Poppy cant go.

I want to stop Poppy from chasing the cat as I don't want her to think its acceptable in future. But unless I am giving a steady stream of treats the cat is irresistable. Does the cat lose its appeal eventually?

LoopyLuna likes this.
  6. LoopyLuna

LoopyLuna Registered Users

Still not much improvement on this one for us, so thought I'd see if anyone had any more examples or suggestions. Now that the weather is improved, the cat and dog want to be out in the garden more. Unfortunately the cat runs and the dog chases. If the cat stays still then Luna's just interested in sniffing, but when the cat starts boxing at her nose then she will just bark at her until she runs away again. Not sure what to do for the best - Luna literally has no impulse control around the cat....

7. LAS

LAS Registered Users

I'm in the same boat with Poppy. The trainer I'm working with recommended using the cue "That's enough" when the interaction gets too rough and then if she doesn't back off we say "Too bad" and she is directed to her crate for a short time out.

So far the time outs don't deter her too much as you said the impulse control around the cat is just not great. Also the cat can be a real pain and provoke Poppy. Its a frustrating dynamic at the moment.