Charlie LOVES his rabbit ball!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by charlie, Sep 9, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I think Charlie loves his rabbit ball :*, for the past week or so I have throwing the ball into some longer grass and even brambles and Charlie searches for it, tail wagging like crazy and brings it back to me every time and drops it nearly at my feet :D It is of course used very sparingly. Just wondered if I should introduce the rabbit dummy? Helen xx :)

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Charlie LOVES his rabbit ball!!

Fab news! That's really great - it will be so good to have him retrieve, lots of running which ends up back next to you.

Don't know about a rabbit skin dummy, my Charlie was beside himself when he got hold of one. Maybe the best thing now would be just to encourage your Charlie like mad and whatever might help is fine?

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I know I am beside myself as nothing has really worked as well, but of course this is only in our garden, park and during our recall training in new areas, so not totally obsessed yet, but fingers crossed ;) Helen x

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It is really great news, good boy Charlie!

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Great to hear, Helen!! :D

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Ooh, Helen, that's really good news! If he does start to get properly interested in retrieving, that will make your life so much easier with regard to exercising him!

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thank you all.

Karen do you think I should introduce the rabbit dummy or should I wait until he is hooked on the rabbit ball? Don't want to push him too hard and mess up, as I do believe we are ready for an easy life :eek: ::) Thanks Helen xx

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I don't see much difference between Riley's enthusiasm for his rabbit skin dummies compared to his rabbit skin ball. I generally use whichever is easier to throw :) I sometimes use a launcher on the ball and often use the dummies for memory retrieves.

I found the best reason for using the dummies was the extra weight as I wanted to transition him back onto picking up other dummies. I still sometimes see a greater enthusiasm for rabbit skin vs normal dummies although he will now pick up what he's sent for(usually with some element of gusto!) and I still keep his rabbit skin "special" 8)

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Thats brilliant Helen , and good lad Charlie :)

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hadn't thought about the weight especially as Charlie didn't like the canvas dummy. It's kept as his "special" ball ::)

Thank you Kate. Helen xx

11. bbrown

I thought Riley was averse to the heavier dummies but then I realised he'd play with this crazy solid (and quite heavy!) football thing so now I vary what I send him for, some are heavier than others but I have a 1/4 and 1/2 lb rabbit skin dummies as well as his ball and he'll happily go and get any of them ;D

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I'm not much help to you here I'm afraid Helen, as I have never seen let alone used a rabbit dummy!!! Barbara is the girl for this question... :D

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Barbara, I have a few things that I keep in a bag for retrieving to vary it up for Charlie. This evening Thomas threw the rabbit ball into some quite thick brambles (yes the garden needs sorting ::)) and he wouldn't give up and went in search from different angles until he found the ball and returned it to me and he looked very pleased with himself. So pleased he can do it :) Helen xx

14. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

There you go Helen, he`s got the bug now, great ;D

15. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

well done charlie :)

16. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Helen this is brilliant! so good that C is getting into this. i know how happy you must feel that he is starting to get That Bug...makes managing walks with A Hunter so much easier, and so much more fun for both of you too! i find that twenty minutes of rabbit skin retrieving/finding with Brodick at the start of a walk in areas with a high wildlife population makes him super focused on me for the rest of the walk and his recall is great.... great stuff and way to go Charlie!

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Debsie, thanks although it's still early days and we have only been retrieving in our garden, park and for very short periods on different location work, but never the less he seems to enjoy it especially when it's thrown into longer grass areas etc. I am keeping everything crossed that he continues to enjoy this, as when he is off that lead I can keep him from self rewarding which as you know is the biggest fear but as always lots more work to do with this too :eek: Helen x

18. bbrown

Sounds like his hunting nose is being put to good use hunting out his rabbit! And that's all because of you ;D

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Ooh I don't know about that Barbara, think I have the bunny to thank for that, which is looking quite shabby already and I can feel the tennis ball it's covered in is about to give up the ghost ::) H x

20. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Helen I'm catching up,after a couple of days 'in the dark' brilliant news,given me a great big smile...I've a rabbit skin dummy and ball to take back to the Dexman,can't wait!lovely to hear of your success,Charlie is going to great cracking on putting all hi energy into this retrieving business I can tell xxxx