Charlie's July/August training

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by JulieT, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Re: Charlie's July/August training

Ah, yes, I do know what you mean about the dummy clapping and third party throwing scenarios. Better stick to blinds in the open then, and leave memories for corridors. Still, even so, definite progress!

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It was nice to see him come back with the dummy!

That's all the retrieving we'll do for now until I have a plan. We've got to move onto finishing off our place board sit. I had a huge list of just foundation stuff to get done. Supposedly by the 31st August, but I'll never get through it all by then.

I've done the stop whistle stuff though. The only scenario in which he won't stop is if he is running to a ball or dummy (not that I've tried but I know I can't keep him away from either so my stop whistle wouldn't work). Neither would my recall. So there are some next steps there to identify.

And I've done my getting attention around other dogs. That's good now.

So I've got placeboards, target stick, refresh pick up in the middle, sit on my left hand side cue (this was good but I neglected it so got to polish it up).

3. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Excellent, fantastic, brilliant. ;D

That applies to the photos, Charlie behaving so wonderfully and the retrieving of the dummy. ;D

Progress with other dogs and with retrieving a dummy you must be very pleased. July /August training nearly done and you've achieved a massive amount. ;D

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Jen! We have got much further with other dogs than I thought we would. Which is great.

We have got nowhere with steadiness - well, not quite true. He is steady on some retrieves now. But not in any other situation. I watch his bum disappear over the horizon if someone has a tennis ball thrower within a mile of us! He goes completely deaf. Make me feel very unloved! So that's a big hole. But I have lost my way on steadiness since the clicker course, as stopped what I was doing and haven't got my head around what I'm supposed to be doing yet!

[quote author=Jen link=topic=7009.msg103851#msg103851 date=1408715834]
    July /August training nearly done
    [/quote]

Eeek! My deadline for this plan is the 31st, when I have another lesson. I have so much left to do! I think I'll just try to do target stick and placeboards though and consolidate everything else otherwise I won't know whether I'm coming or going...

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, some progress - and a lot of thinking!

Mainly about the retrieve - or no retrieve (in that 20 laps of the park are required before he'll deliver the dummy). Although have done lots of other stuff too, but just consolidation, so it's not very interesting.

Using corridors very well might be the best thing, but it's not practical for me. I work, I'm on a strict time schedule now, and no matter how much I'd like to I just cannot traipse around for miles or set up corridors using fencing in London parks.

So, my approach.

1) some careful observation - if I give him a dummy, he moves away from me - i think because he wants to keep it. I mean without any other cue, left to his own devices, in a quiet room. So, I gave him a dummy, and spent ages being massively happy when he approached me. Cuddles for having a dummy. Fun for having dummy. I could write pages on this, found it very interesting, but it would be tedious to read.

2) after hours of cuddles for dummy, we walked with dummy. So if I moved, he followed me with the dummy. Lots of following me to play with me and the dummy.

3) with a boring dummy, clicker retrieve on the common - he shoved that dummy in my hand! Brill!

Downsides are he has lost his previously good hold in the middle, and is chomping. But not hard enough to mark the dummy, just moving it around in his mouth. I started to re-train a still hold today, but it didn't go very well, and I'm concerned I'm not doing it right (after the clicker course I'm very aware of my own failings! ) so I might leave that as I have a 121 on Sunday so can get some feedback. He doesn't move the dummy in his mouth if he is moving and I'm looking at him, but he does if I look away (as when I look back, the dummy has moved).

But feeling, on balance, positive with progress!

Have also had an interesting journey reading about Kay Lawrence's approach to positive training - which is a step on again from my clicker course! I already thought there was more to this than I realised...more information on the Facebook Group "clicker revolution" for those interested, there are links to DVDs and books there.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

My July/August training push is over. Time to start another one (of course). I went back to the positive/clicker/choice based/dog self directed (they so need to think of a snappy acronym for that!) today and it ended the period nicely, and I’ll write up what’s next for September – in case of interest.

I have to say, when I look back at progress, I’m thrilled.

When I started this period, we had real trouble around other dogs, on and off lead, and I was terrified to attend a training course for fear it would be impossible. Now, we are group class junkies (which might wear off, but we’re making up for lost fun) and have got into training “proper” rather than just struggling with problem behaviour. ;D ;D ;D

We still have our difficulties – but they are about control around things that are very exciting for Charlie, and I know now how to deal with these (er…well…I think, anyway).

I think I have really come to appreciate the importance of a few things:

I have got to train. Not think about training, not write plans, not do it tomorrow – and train in a consistent way. I have got to get out and do it, and have an organised plan. Not kid myself that doing my best, making it up on walks, but being incompetent through lack of thought, preparation or organisation is going to cut it.

There is no substitute for having people help me with “set ups” – it’s no good not making progress because I don’t have the opportunity. I have to create those situations that will allow me to make progress.

Salami slicing the problem into many small bits, solving small problems, then moving on to the slightly more challenging thing really works – it’s proofing. It’s essential and it works. And having goals, not continue to work on the same thing, changing very little, and thinking that’s training will do.

The most important thing I’ve learned is what positive only training really means - since I want to train my dog using positive only methods, and found a trainer that will help me with this. And there is a lot more to it than I thought. Which is wonderful, and I’m very much enjoying learning about it all. :)

7. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Well done Julie. You have done an amazing job so far. I think getting our heads in the right order really does make the difference. It's not only a choice for the dogs but for us to choose to do the work involved. I have loved reading your journey and really have learnt a lot from what you have done. I have begun to plan more for what I would like to do with Milly after the surgery and healing of coarse. I have had to change quite a bit of what I wanted and expected to do with Milly but after reading all your posts I feel a lot more positive about those changes. So thanks! Keep it up. I can see you going a very long way with Charlie and enjoying every minute. Well done!

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Good job Julie and Charlie, totally agree the proofing is essential, I had to be develop patience and not want it all NOW :eek:. I wish we had people to help with set-ups but nobody wants to so we have to take the opportunities to train certain things as and when they present themselves :( Positive only training is the only way and it makes a difference to our dogs, I can even brush my Charlie's teeth and clean his ears due to clicker training these ;D Training is a daily activity and not something that ever comes to an end, I think I learn something new about my dogs every day, I love to see them progress even if it is the smallest thing it makes me feel good and them too :D

Good luck with everything else you wish to achieve Julie xx :)

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm so glad you've found a path, method and trainer that you're happy with ;D

You will both go from strength to strength, no doubt!

Xxx

10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I must heed your advice to yourself as I tend to 'wing it' and do a bit of training here and a bit there when I am out and don't really proof it with distractions, except when we are in a class and then somehow he knows to focus and never gets distracted.

I have made out a chart and will start.........tomorrow :-[

11. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So, what's in the schedule for September? ;)

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hah - much the same as you, I suspect! :)

With additional homework about not being nuts around dummies for delinquent Charlie. ;D

I'll write my September plan up in a mo...