Charlie's June Training - Teeth Cleaning

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by JulieT, May 28, 2014.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, what will I have left of my recall? It was good when he was 8 months. Now, after spending more time on crate rest and on lead than I had him before injury....he is a very different dog now. He isn't a big puppy anymore, he is practically grown up. And as frustrated as anything to get to those interesting smells and other dogs. Ho hum. Feels like a mountain.

But today is teeth cleaning.

I have previously attempted to train an "open wide" thing - which turned out to be not what I needed at all. What I need is just for my dog to sit still while I clean his teeth!

I get the toothbrush out, call Charlie, he is suddenly overwhelmed by an urge to get hold of that toothbrush and carry it round the room, wait for me to say "is that for meeeee?" when he will bring it back (only to nick it again, repeat, as soon as he gets a chance).

We are truly hopeless. We need some pros to post some videos to show us how it's done!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97932779@N08/14104194350/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/97932779@N08/14288806122/

2. gad

gad Guest

Re: Re: Charlie's June Training - Teeth Cleaning

After the first video, where it was all going so well, the second video made me laugh! It also woke up Murphy, who scouted the kitchen to see where the clicker noise was coming from!

Not sure whether you wanted feedback, but have you tried a silicon finger toothbrush? Get him use to that then progress onto a brush. And you know that on the second video you were just too soft :)
    C&T in silence, removing the toothbrush without saying a word! not a 'no' to be uttered - then descent into laughter just ruined your progress but it was priceless :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Gad, the second vid was posted for a bit of fun, of course. ::) :)

[quote author=gad link=topic=6284.msg82822#msg82822 date=1401288090]
    C&T in silence
    [/quote]

Generally, I do something different. If I want my dog to try something else, I sometimes prompt him. It works for me.

4. gad

gad Guest

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=6284.msg82834#msg82834 date=1401291204]

Generally, I do something different. If I want my dog to try something else, I sometimes prompt him. It works for me.
    [/quote]

Me too, I'm not against a some gentle positioning either.

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Think you did great especially the first one,he's very relaxed at the exposure to the brush.I love his wild eyes as he grabs you in the second one ;D
    Julie ,Dex and I will never be pros at retreives ........ever !but we aren't bad at teeth cleaning! ;D You know I love teeth cleaning!
    I'll see if I can recruit my camera woman tomorrow,we aren't bad but our technique is a bit unique.....but I'll try and find the original vids I made when he was about 6 months......( you've seen them) we have become more efficient since then,ie I don't get nipped as much :eek: ;D but it will be a good comparison to see how it evolves with perserverance x

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Tut, tut, I don't clean my dogs' teeth. I had a look at my 8 year old and he had some tartar :-[ So I found an old toothbrush, opened his mouth and brushed. I used to give them cow hooves to chew but stopped as they made such a mess, but they did clean the dogs' teeth beautifully. I must go and buy some more.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=6284.msg82865#msg82865 date=1401299948]
    Julie ,Dex and I will never be pros at retreives ........ever !but we aren't bad at teeth cleaning! ;D You know I love teeth cleaning!
    I'll see if I can recruit my camera woman tomorrow,we aren't bad but our technique is a bit unique.....but I'll try and find the original vids I made when he was about 6 months......
    [/quote]

Yes! I want Charlie's teeth to look like your Dexter's! Give me some inspiration!

And do not let me move onto other things until I've turned in a decent teeth cleaning vid to you satisfaction.

Apart from recall training, it's probably the most important thing I've got to do.

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Love the vids and your crazy toothbrush eating monster :) Would love to see more, and Dexter too!!

9. Oberon

Here's our toothbrushing vid :) It's a bit grainy as the light wasn't great...

https://flic.kr/p/nLM3NK

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Never! Never! I am never going to get my mad toothbrush eating monster to do that!

But I've got to!

::) ;D ::) ;D

11. Dexter

Brilliant video Rachael and you will Julie! X

12. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=6284.msg82941#msg82941 date=1401313136]
    Here's our toothbrushing vid :) It's a bit grainy as the light wasn't great...

https://flic.kr/p/nLM3NK
    [/quote]

Rachael, watching that video is like fast-forwarding to the thrilling climax of a film just before the credits roll! Where is all the pain and angst that our hero and heroine have to endure before that stage? ;)

13. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Oh my goodness! Julie I'm with you I think. Mine is a toothbrush eater for sure. I guess if I fed her a toothbrush a day they may get cleaned by the chewing. Well I guess that depends on if she chews it or not. Hehe. I'm up for the challenge but will have to go without the video as I just can't work out how to download one.

Ok Rachael what's a good starting point to achieve that?

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hurrah! Company on the toothbrush challenge! Thanks!

15. Oberon

Haha, yes, well, we have been brushing for some time....

To start with I'd get the dog used to having his lips lifted and then move on to touching teeth with your finger only. Treats for accepting this. Then do this with the toothbrush. Then move the brush against the canine teeth a bit. Gradually work up to brushing the canines gently. Then expand to include other teeth.

I'd work up to that over whatever period it takes to achieve it in a relaxed way. Be calm and confident but gentle. Use plenty of treats initially. Eventually you can use pretty firm pressure but start out really soft.

As for the dog's position - them sitting with their back to your legs (you standing) and the dog's head tilted up worked for us at first. Once he was ok with that we introduced lying down, which I find the easiest position to access everything.

If you can manage to work up to including the underside of molars that's great, but we just do the outer surface.

16. Dexter

Annette I've found my old videos where I was losing a tooth brush ( or 2 :D) every other day ....Dexter must have been about 7 months old so I was 8 weeks into it but I want to be able to post it along side how we do now at 20 months so I'm waiting for Chris to be off tomorrow to do it with me.....big difference !I hadn't found the forum then,didn't know anything about clickers and gentle exposure ,my for friend just said,start cleaning his teeth every day...so I started putting a toothbrush in his mouth everyday....
    I promise I'll do it tomorrow
    Modifying to say.....have you heard the old proverb......'Don't do as I demonstrate, Do as Rachael advises and demonstrates!'thats a good clean she's got going on! ;D
    Also, I just love all the videos of members ,it's so great seeing you with your dogs x

17. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Old vids are great to re watch. Show all the troubles we go throughout lol. Thanks

18. Dexter

Video done but flickr really slow,I'll pop by again later x

19. Dexter

Flickr hasn't been kind today and I said I'd post this in the spirit of support so I've had to trim quite a bit for flickr to accept them.......

First of all,here is my equipment......

[​IMG]
    image by dexterpops02, on Flickr

Yep,our method involves him chomping on one tooth brush while I clean with the other,it isn't as bad as it looks ,we've been using these tooth brushes for about a month and he doesn't eat the plastic he chews,he spits out for a kibble! :D ::)

You no longer see the blue rubber tip I use in the first clip...the little finger 'sock ' is so much more efficient for moving right round all his teeth and gums.

He was about 7/8 months in this clip..I'd done it everyday since he arrived bit I'm not efficient,making it still a bit of a game and we lost a tooth brush a day pretty much!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97066992@N03/14120192558/lightbox/

I had to trim the bit near the end where he nips me :eek: ;D to get the vid to accept on Flickr.....oh,and he still had his lovely full tail :'( :'(...I forget unless I look back at old clips or photos ::)

This was is this morning...again I couldn't upload the full 1 min 27 ( praise be you all say! :eek:) I've trimmed it,I only show you me doing one side so that tells you that really the whole process takes about 2/2.5 mins....I think god was looking after you all making flickr slow....it's not that exciting watching a dog get his teeth cleaned ;D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97066992@N03/14283521676/
    At the end he get a whole sea biscuit,makes that lovely fresh breath all nice and doggie again! ;D

20. Oberon

That's excellent. Looks like you're really getting up the back there. I would like to do a better job on the underside of the molars....

Love how he casually but resolutely chews on his spare toothbrush throughout :)