Charlie's June Training - Teeth Cleaning

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by JulieT, May 28, 2014.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Re: Charlie's June Training - Teeth Cleaning

ok, so I have ordered my teeth cleaning "socks" from lintbells - I ordered 6 as of course my tooth cleaning programme is now in full swing, and I'll need those socks!

I've been using so much bacon flavoured doggie toothpaste, that I think I gave Charlie slightly runny poo yesterday! Only one though. ::)

We've now established our best position - him on his mat, to my left, and me sat on the floor. And I can run my fingers all the way round his teeth. I have done this with the toothbrush and paste too, but it's much more fuss, so I think the sock will be the way to go. So I just need my socks to arrive! I tried the finger tooth brush but he got the rubber bit off the end and swallowed it! ::) It was very small though, so I expect it will reappear without problem.

I did get him to keep his head quite still earlier, but perhaps did one too many sessions so I could do the vid and he was getting a bit fed up at this point. I don't think he is ever going to love it, but I reckon I'll get the job done ok.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97932779@N08/14132520570/

My objective now is to keep doing this every evening, and then my teeth cleaning socks will arrive and I should be sorted. I ordered some lintbells pristine tooth paste too.

His teeth look in good nick, but the very back molars have a little covering of greyish stuff on them which I'm dying to get off now. There are some brownish stains along the surfaces of his molars too, also hope I can get those off (I know it's nothing more serious as had the vet check his teeth a couple of weeks ago, under GA, when he had his last set of x-rays).

I'll post another vid when I've got the socks.

Any reports from the other new doggie teeth cleaners? How are you getting on?

2. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Well I'm not doing anywhere near as good as you. Milly will tolerate me listing her lips and running my fingers around her teeth a few times and that's about it. I have had a few tries at different times and it appears that I get the best results after a walk and other training. So it's a lost cause if I bring her straight into the teeth cleaning training. I tried to introduce the toothbrush yesterday but I think I pushed the issue to far and she wasn't happy with it at all. So I will leave the toothbrushes out of the equation ATM. I went out today and got some toothpaste and a finger brush so I will see how we progress tomorrow with that.

Stitches come out tomorrow so I'm hoping we get the all clear to go for a good run and play and get all that pent up energy and frustration out. I'm hoping that will help in the attitude department as far as teeth cleaning goes.

I tried to order one of those sock things but for some reason I had trouble trying to open a UK amazon account so I will just have to go with what I have for now.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=AnnetteB link=topic=6284.msg84038#msg84038 date=1401622723]
    Milly will tolerate me listing her lips and running my fingers around her teeth a few times and that's about it.
    [/quote]

That's not bad! Add brush and paste and you're there!

4. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

Puzzle and barley had their first session today.

Both accepted lifting of lip and finger running around teeth no problem. I manged to get toothpaste on my finger with puzzle and run it over her canines with ease, not introduced brush yet. I have several finger ones and a double ended one, i will order a cloth one as well when we next order some stuff, and some more toothpaste.

Barley did not like toothpaste on finger, it might have been the flavour of it as he hated it so we stopped doing that and went back to running fingers over teeth to end on a high note.

The dog that i though would be more work is being the easiest so far.

Also as a side note i have broken both clickers now so will have to have a break until new ones arrive :mad:

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Puppypal link=topic=6284.msg84069#msg84069 date=1401629150]
    Both accepted lifting of lip and finger running around teeth no problem. I manged to get toothpaste on my finger with puzzle and run it over her canines with ease, not introduced brush yet.

Barley did not like toothpaste on finger, it might have been the flavour of it as he hated it so we stopped doing that and went back to running fingers over teeth to end on a high note.

[/quote]

Nice going Annabelle!

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Great job on teeth and recall, Julie! :D one of these days I'll post something similar, so there!!

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, got the kit.

I had a go - the finger glove was much, much easier than the brush. Got the outside of his teeth done just fine (although with a lot of treats, and a bit of wiggling, mushed up sea biscuits and doggie toothpaste makes for a sticky mess though, so we'll work on only having a treat at the end).

But gosh, Charlie is a very, very, gentle dog, but doing the flat sides of the back molars with a finger brush is seriously risking a sharp chomp on your finger! I'll have to work round that...

[​IMG]teeth cleaning kit by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

8. AnnetteB

Oh well done. I'm in a similar place with the risk of a good bite. She is mostly being gentle but when your finger is right up the back it's a different story. But the finger brush is way easier than the toothbrush. We actually managed to brush all teeth today. With quite a bit of wriggling and licking etc. but huge improvement from 2 days ago.

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Really good point about the teeth. Those big ones known as Fourth Premolars can take the end of your finger off, no worries.

I speak from experience. Was holding a pig's ear as my dog Nicolae was enthusiastically chewing it and I came very close to losing the end of my right ring finger. Cut two nerves. Big mess. Months to heal. Absolutely no fault of my dog and all my stupid fault.

So don't ever get your finger in between those back teeth.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=AnnetteB link=topic=6284.msg84749#msg84749 date=1401792190]
    We actually managed to brush all teeth today. With quite a bit of wriggling and licking etc. but huge improvement from 2 days ago.
    [/quote]

Yay! About the same as me. A week's effort for something that will benefit our dogs for years and years. It's a good deal, I think.

[quote author=AnnetteB link=topic=6284.msg84749#msg84749 date=1401792190]
    I'm in a similar place with the risk of a good bite. She is mostly being gentle but when your finger is right up the back it's a different story.
    [/quote]

Yup. Charlie is a gentle dog too, but sticking your finger between those back teeth when they are having a good lick and chomp at this strange cloth thing in their mouth isn't the best plan, I think. :-\ Have to work on a technique for the back ones. Maybe Angela's technique is the best. Something in his mouth that will stop the teeth from connecting with your finger in the middle of them?

11. AnnetteB

Ouch!!!!!

Now I'm feeling way less enthusiastic about this teeth cleaning business.

12. Oberon

Well done on the brushing success guys!! :D

Just keep your finger on the outside of the teeth, next to the lip, and it'll be fine :)

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=6284.msg84753#msg84753 date=1401792525]
    So don't ever get your finger in between those back teeth.
    [/quote]

No, good advice. I experienced what was probably very, very, gentle pressure today. It was enough of a warning. My finger is no match for those teeth if he has a chomp on the finger glove, for sure. :eek:

Well, the outside is sorted at least. Thinking cap on for the flat surfaces of the molars. Back to the brush, I think.

14. AnnetteB

Yes I wonder if I could encourage a chew toy of some form on the other side. ::)
    I will have to experiment a bit tomorrow I think.
    Maybe just cleaning inside and outside of teeth would be better as the flat surface gets cleaned with each meal chewing I guess :-\

15. Oberon

Toothbrush is probably best for the flat surface and inside :)

But Obi's vet dentist said that just cleaning the outside surface (next to the lips) was fine and was the most important bit to do.

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=6284.msg84761#msg84761 date=1401793396]
    But Obi's vet dentist said that just cleaning the outside surface (next to the lips) was fine and was the most important bit to do.
    [/quote]
    That's good to know Rachael.
    sorry about your poor finger :(

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Is it too late for me to start cleaning Hattie & Charlie's teeth? I am feeling very inspired by all your efforts :)

18. Oberon

Never too late :)

I have a scar from the pig ear episode which is a permanent reminder of my Nicolae so, oddly enough, I like it :) Still, I can't recommend the experience....

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=6284.msg84775#msg84775 date=1401795796]
    Never too late :)

[/quote]

Great, I am going to order a finger sock thing and toothpaste and get cracking. Thanks :D x

Could the teeth cleaning be put on a separate thread for everyone? ???

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Charlie's June Training - Teeth Cleaning

I have split the topic Helen - hope I have got the right bits in the right place.