Charlie's June Training

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by JulieT, May 28, 2014.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Charlie's June Training

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=6284.msg86903#msg86903 date=1402408026]
    I agree, it is a great way of teaching the stop whistle, but does he return that ball to you?
    [/quote]

Yes, he does (did) although there were definitely three phases to this. (And I have to caveat this by saying I don't know what he'd do now, but seems even more ball and dummy obsessed than ever.)

The last phase (from a couple of months before injury) when I'd nailed the delivery after clicker training it, very solid return and delivery, and stay (in the hope of another ball throw).

The first phase, when he was very young, absolutely he would always come back, it didn't enter his head to do anything else, then he became more independent.

The bit in the middle, around 5 to 7 months, he played "keep away". But always with me. By that I mean it was always about me, Charlie and the ball, and his attention was on me (he wanted me to chase him for the ball). One trainer was convinced that keeping him away from me was the key to cracking the delivery - he came back, but just out of reach (clicker training was a faster way to solve this though).

So it seems pretty powerful for me and the way my dog seems to react.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=6284.msg86902#msg86902 date=1402407871]
    Totally naive thought here ,but once he's had some gallops,gallops and more gallops around and realises that off lead is here to stay do you think you might get a modicum of less hooligan....I was tempted to write calm there ;D
    [/quote]

I hope so! He was definitely butt tucking in excitement at being free. My fear is too excited will become a normal state off lead...but I'm plotting and planning carefully to avoid that. He is now clearly obsessed with the things he has been deprived of the most - retrieving and contact with other dogs. So I'll have to see how those two obsessions pan out!

3. Tillydyes

Tillydyes Registered Users

You could clicker train not running in on the retrieve ;)

Keeping the dogs focus on you is all about being more interesting/exciting than the dogs other options. It's also pretty much your only option other than more traditional methods.

Not that hard to do when you know what makes your dog tick like what you do :)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Tillydyes link=topic=6284.msg87068#msg87068 date=1402434628]
    You could clicker train not running in on the retrieve ;)
    [/quote]

Yes, I could. I've been a little half hearted about steadiness to thrown things, I think. For two reasons - I took the warnings to be careful of a show dog's drive seriously. With hindsight, I really didn't need to worry so much. He is obsessed seemingly over all other things. Or was, anyway.

And now, like I say above, not having him steady has advantages to other training, it seems to me. We live in a busy, busy place. I don't have rural fields to train in (when I do, say if I get to a gundog trainer, everything is so much easier). So I value the usefulness of the power of letting him chase a ball.

Well, I'll need to have a good think and plan.

Thanks for comments, very useful and appreciated.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Right well, 2 weeks in and so am I doing what I said? Partly.

1) I've done the teeth cleaning - big tick. I do clean his teeth now. :)

2) I've done the recall in the house exercises - these were easy though. He was so excited to have a recall game, he was perfect. His recall is also perfect in the garden under the scenarios that I'm able to construct anyway. :)

In exciting developments, am going to the common in a little while tonight (when it gets late enough to be quiet) and I'm going to put a harness on him (which he will hate but might cheer up) and walk across a flat field with him off lead but on a harness and training lead. So I'll see how his recall is properly outside.

3) I haven't changed my sit command or even started work on it. :(

4) I did do my being quiet around visitors, and even had a dog hating work colleague to lunch and we survived. He went a bit mad when he saw one of my friends who he adores, but she encouraged it so it wasn't really his fault - and they were so pleased to see each other! :)

5) I haven't do any more work on heel and a straight sit. :(

Oh. 3/5 and half way though. That's ok.

I also found out he legs it round killing a dummy again, so did two clicker retrieve exercises in the kitchen, and I'll have to add them to my list for June. As have a lesson booked with a trainer at the end of the month and don't want to embarrass ourselves too much.

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I think that sounds pretty good! beware of scope creep impacting timescales and milestones though ;)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think we did really quite well on the harness and line.

We went to some playing fields, which were pretty quiet, so there were only about 10 groups of people and other dogs.

I put his harness on, which of course he hated but then gave him some freedom on the long line. In a way, his unhappiness with the harness was not unhelpful. It stopped him going bonkers, because he was concentrating on being uphappy about the harness at first.

So we walked on, and he started to trot round happily. Before he ran out of line, I recalled him. He was very good.

He would trot a bit towards other dogs, then sit. He came back on his recall everytime, apart from once, when I gave a bit of a tug on the line, then he came.

He stayed walking "close" when asked. He went a bit bonkers when I gave him a ball to hold after a recall away from a dog though, and it was difficult with the line because it was between his legs so I dropped it, and got him to bring the ball back eventually (he didn't go far, was just galloping round me in a circle). So we obviously have keep away again.

After I put the ball away he walked backwards to the car so he could keep watching me and the pocket where I had the ball. ::)

But really pretty pleased!

He is shattered now!

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=6284.msg87540#msg87540 date=1402596626]
    I think that sounds pretty good! beware of scope creep impacting timescales and milestones though ;)
    [/quote]

More like "don't just do recall and fetch because sit is boooriiiing!!!"

That's our problem. No discipline! Either of us. We've been doing recall and fetch all day. :) :) :)

Oh well, so I'll have a dog that walks ok on a lead (done that), has clean teeth (done that too now), has a great recall, and is addicted to fetch. Could be worse!

9. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Going well Julie 8)

There is nothing that is time-critical is there? Anything that you don't get done in June ... there's always July ;) (And we're only on the 12th anyway so there is plenty of time yet - you'll get there)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=UncleBob link=topic=6284.msg87610#msg87610 date=1402608450]
    Going well Julie 8)

There is nothing that is time-critical is there?
    [/quote]

Cheers!

Well, only time critical in terms of if we don't get on with it, when Charlie has grey on his snout, and I'm hobbling along with a stick, we'll still be saying "shall we work on a steady sit? Or play fetch?"

;D ;D ;D

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Maybe you will be (I'm sure you won't be) but who cares anyway? :) Sounds like he's actually going really well - and his recall is still fab! :D

12. bbrown

You will but it will be great grandson of Charlie or great nephew of murffi

13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

You can have a 'steady' dog and still play fetch :) The dog just needs to learn which is which. My GSPs knew the difference, if I said 'mark' it meant sit there and do not go until I send you, if I said 'ready, steady, go' it meant they could go as I threw the ball.

14. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=6284.msg87624#msg87624 date=1402612528]
    [quote author=UncleBob link=topic=6284.msg87610#msg87610 date=1402608450]
    Going well Julie 8)

There is nothing that is time-critical is there?
    [/quote]

Cheers!

Well, only time critical in terms of if we don't get on with it, when Charlie has grey on his snout, and I'm hobbling along with a stick, we'll still be saying "shall we work on a steady sit? Or play fetch?"

;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

It only really matters if you do want to get back into gundog training. Steadying a dog is part and parcel of it and you can't really get anywhere without the dog being reasonably steady. Even the best trained dogs will run in occasionally, but if it happens on each and very thrown dummy then it becomes a problem, especially in group lessons. :)

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I do want to go to gundog training, I do. It's just we are lazy, lazy, lazy and spend too much time playing. :(

Right, will refocus for the second half of the month!

Have a session with a gundog trainer (a spaniel person) on the 26th! :)

16. heidrun

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=6284.msg87734#msg87734 date=1402655485]
    I do want to go to gundog training, I do. It's just we are lazy, lazy, lazy and spend too much time playing. :(

Right, will refocus for the second half of the month!

Have a session with a gundog trainer (a spaniel person) on the 26th! :)
    [/quote]

Be careful he/she doesn't sell you a springer or a cocker while you are there. Spaniel trainers are good at that! :eek: ;D That's how I got Caddie. Went for a lesson, came away with a puppy. :p

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm forewarned!

I'd never buy a springer. I reckon that'd get me into awful trouble!

18. bbrown

I hear different things depending who you talk to.....I'd always thought springers were harder than cockers but our current trainer is of the opposite opinion. Basically I think spaniels are a challenge full stop ;)

still want one though ;D

19. heidrun

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=6284.msg87742#msg87742 date=1402656795]
    I'm forewarned!

I'd never buy a springer. I reckon that'd get me into awful trouble!
    [/quote]

Hmmm, my cocker has got me into more trouble than the two springers and the Clumber could ever dream of. You have been warned. ;D ;)

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

We did another version of the long line walk tonight.

We also did lots of stop whistle and sits. (I felt positively angelic). Actually, his stop whistle was bloomin' good. I'd forgotten how good we are at that. And I did the walks the clock sit drills and all that stuff too. Tried to make it all happy and fun, and broke it up with some games, so it wasn't too boring.

His recall was good away from dogs, interesting bushes, rabbits and so on.

Although he went a bit nuts on his short lead when a small dog ran up as we got out of the car.

But, horrors, he would have legged it twice without the line. Both times after balls. Once when a man whacked a tennis ball (with a tennis racket - it is nearly that time of year when everyone gets out a racket around here ::) ) for his dog. An the second time when the people having a party outside the rugby club started throwing rugby balls at each other. :-\ :-[