Charlie's June Training

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by JulieT, May 28, 2014.

1. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Charlie's June Training

Sounds like he's doing really well and is probably very much enjoying getting into some training again :)

Shame on people for playing tempting ball games in front of Charlie :)

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=6284.msg87851#msg87851 date=1402689513]
    Shame on people for playing tempting ball games in front of Charlie :)
    [/quote]

I know! So inconsiderate! ;D

A big plus is he didn't have a humongous fuss about his harness tonight. Just a moderately large one.

So I'm wondering, since he is so desparate for a bit of freedom, if his harness becomes associated with that, maybe I'll crack the harness hatred? Hoping a bit, anyway. I have to use it. I reckon he would have done a serious injury to his neck on a flat collar when I stopped him crashing the rugby ball party.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Good news about the harness :D
    Charlie sounds like he is a happy well behaved boy, you should be proud :)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Naya link=topic=6284.msg87876#msg87876 date=1402693460]
    Good news about the harness :D
    Charlie sounds like he is a happy well behaved boy, you should be proud :)
    [/quote]

Happy - oh yes, Mr fun, fun, fun is our Charlie. That's all he cares about. Life is one big game. (I celebrate this part of his character, and encourage it probably too much, I enjoy him having fun).

Well behaved - nope. He is an over excited, jumping up, counter surfing, party animal and bonkers hooligan who can't sit still for toffee.

Love him lots though!

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=6284.msg87892#msg87892 date=1402695331]

Happy - oh yes, Mr fun, fun, fun is our Charlie. That's all he cares about. Life is one big game. (I celebrate this part of his character, and encourage it probably too much, I enjoy him having fun).

Well behaved - nope. He is an over excited, jumping up, counter surfing, party animal and bonkers hooligan who can't sit still for toffee.

Love him lots though!
    [/quote]

I LOVE this.I can remember you worrying what Charlie would be like in himself at the end of his rehab......
    There's your answer!Exactly the same!
    Your recall from other dogs is putting me to shame and I'm going to do something about that when I get back you have inspired me ;D

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=6284.msg87935#msg87935 date=1402716300]
    I LOVE this.I can remember you worrying what Charlie would be like in himself at the end of his rehab......
    There's your answer!Exactly the same!
    Your recall from other dogs is putting me to shame and I'm going to do something about that when I get back you have inspired me ;D
    [/quote]

I was worried! We seem to have survived!

The long line is interesting. He doesn't pull on it if he meets any resistance, which I'm surprised by. I try not to have any tension on the line at all, and use my recall or stop whistle (or tell him close) instead. I don't yet know how I'll stop using it, though. Whether one day I just won't use it, or I'll try to reduce it (chop it up) until it's gone. I suppose I'll have to see if he reacts differently without it.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie running! Like a normal dog! Ok, not very much, not very far, and somewhat constrained by harness a line! But still....a start!

Just got to build it up now....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97932779@N08/14396791486/

(bit slow on the stop there ::) In your own time Charlie....)

;D ;D ;D ;D

8. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Gorgeous! What a happy dog :)

(By the way, didn't look slow to me- looked pretty darned sharp!)

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I couldn't quite make out what you stop whistle was, it sounded like to or three whistles? I think it might be easier for Charlie if you just did one note, although he did sit pretty quickly to your whistle ;D

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Stacia - no, it's one whistle. It's clear on my version of the vid, maybe there is a delay on your player or something, or on Flickr. I can check with the trainer next week in case any inconsistencies have crept in (although that stop whistle sound is as taught by gundog trainer #2, #1 would not have approved, but we'll see what #3 thinks!). My recall next is 5 pips.

He has been more focused, he was glancing around him. Yesterday he was super sharp and had his eyes glued on me until told what next. This morning there were dogs round, behind him though.
    He was a little better this evening, but I won't be losing the line in a hurry - at all. His focus was shifting away, a lot. it'll be easier when we can do some retrieving though. think I've got a fair bit of work to do!

11. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Yes when he knows you have a dummy on you his eyes will boring a hole right through you!!! ;D

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Aww it's lovely to see Charlie being a real dog at last, enjoy him xx :*

13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Ah yes there was delay on the film on my laptop, so that would explain it :)

14. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

That is awesome. Well done!

15. Dexter

Julie I thought his stop was fast.....I can show you a slow stop any time you want ;D
    Lovely seeing him kick up his heels,he doesn't look,bothered by his harness either x

16. Oberon

Lovely :) Nice enthusiastic recall!

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=6284.msg88334#msg88334 date=1402798724]
    Julie I thought his stop was fast.....I can show you a slow stop any time you want ;D
    Lovely seeing him kick up his heels,he doesn't look,bothered by his harness either x
    [/quote]

I don't see many other dogs stop - just Heidrun's and vids of ftch online. They all have much faster stops and more attentive dogs. But happy to hear Charlie's looks ok. He has been sharper though.

Yes, I'm pretty thrilled about the harness! He even took a treat yesterday when I was putting in on, which is unheard of. He used to be too stressed by it to take a treat.

18. Dexter

I thinks it's been a stroke of genius ,the idea to get him to associate it with 'Yay,we are going out for some fun' I really think it's working x

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Spoke too soon about the harness - today he wouldn't come out of his crate, then wouldn't come out of the car, because I had the harness in my bag (on previous mornings I've left it in the car and picked it up after he got out). Oh well.

Well, today. I got out early and left OH at home. We were the first on the playing fields, but other dogs soon turned up.

So we had a perfect set of recalls and stop whistles. He was distracted by the other dogs, sort of prancing around and very excited but still stopped and came just fine. I was surprised, actually, I thought I was pushing the stop whistle a little far. But what he didn't do was stay as close to me as before and was more frequently getting to the end of the line. I'd say "ah ah" and he'd wait or turn and I'd try to do this before there was any tension on the line. So I've re-started to work on "close" and keep him at heel as we moved towards the other dogs.

We didn't stay out long as it was getting busier so I thought we'd have a failure before long as we'd be too close to another dog sooner or later, and they were all being allowed to race around, pretty much out of control.

I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with all of this and the long line - I suppose working gradually up so I feel we can stay in control again off lead. Anyway, it feels productive, and only another 10 days or so before I can get some advice from a trainer.

20. Oberon

Any kind of training with your dog is good if you're both enjoying it :)

Considering that you have had such a break from these sorts of exercises you are doing incredibly well.

We went to our obedience class today after doing nothing for two weeks and Obi has decided that the send away means going to the square, stepping outside it, lying down and putting his head on his paws ::) Charlie's memory is much better than Obi's......