1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Chewie's training log

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by Chewies_mum, Jun 17, 2018.

1. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh yes, for sure. It's not unusual to have a bit of regression in toilet training.

Sounds like you had a great day at the park, brilliant.

2. Chewies_mum

Chewies_mum Registered Users

At pretty much 5 months old Chewie sure has become more of a handful!

He is jumping a lot more and trying to countersurf. We are going to have to get a barrier for the kitchen ASAP. He seems to get "off" but obviously the counters are quite tempting.

Toilet training is mostly very good, but I think he is marking now. He has done a couple of tiny wees on his mat in the living room. He hasn't had an accident anywhere else for more than a month. Not sure what we can do about this?

Loose lead walking is up and down. He is often a bit slow to warm up in the morning- "What did you get me out of bed for mum?" Sometimes he just doesnt want to walk, but most of the time he is fine and trots along, giving us pretty good attention, i.e. looking for his treats! He pulls like mad if another dog is close by, but the distance that he will be calm at is slowly getting smaller using "look at that".

His recall is brilliant most of the time. He recalled away from a group of hounds at the park. Admittedly he then went back to them and had to be carried off... he did also try to mug some picnickers at our local park. I feel like we are always apologising to someone!

Oh, my husband has taught him to high 5, which is very cute.

LoopyLuna likes this.
  3. LoopyLuna

LoopyLuna Registered Users

Hey @Chewies_mum - great to hear an update. Sounds like you're making some great progress - the fact that Chewie is off the lead on walks is a major step. I worry I'll never be brave enough to do that though I'll have to bite the bullet one day. We are also sick of hearing the word "off" in our house - it is driving me bananas.

4. Chewies_mum

Chewies_mum Registered Users

I have to admit I only let him off lead when there's the two of us. I definitely don't on our weekday morning walks because I'm too sleepy to give chase. Maybe you'd feel more confident if you were with other people? That also gives you a chance to play recall games.

I was just telling my OH that I feel like a broken record going "off, off, off, off" ad nauseam.