Chewing bed

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Lynne12981, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Lynne12981

Lynne12981 Registered Users

My 9 month old pup has started chewing up her bed. She is in a cage on the rare occasion that we have to go out and during the night,I always make sure that she has had a good walk before I leave her. The last week or so she has started to destroy every bed that we put in her cage. If she was getting left for a huge amount of time,I would say that it's probably boredom but she isn't plus she has ever done this before and we have had her 7 months,can anyone help or give any suggestions?

2. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanleys on to his 3rd or 4th bed. He pulls them out of his cage, drags it round the kitchen then looks at me as if to be like "my bed exploded, luckily I survived". Never seems to do it when he's shut in his cage.

It's irritating but it's not my skirting boards or door - so it's not the end of the world. I've just started buying cheaper beds :D

3. Dalliance

Dalliance Registered Users

Bella , my 16 mnth old still has the occasional chew of her bed but thats only if she is left in her crate for too long , however this has only started to be the case , up until a couple of months ago she would chew and chew and chew , she has been through several beds so far .
    Nylabones and a Kong worked for me , Bella just LOVES her Kong , so much so that it is the only toy she has not destroyed ( she is still on her first Kong from only being a few months old , a pink one and she plays with it every day! )

4. Lara

Lara Registered Users

Indie was a terrible bed chewer. We resorted to buying an eye-wateringly expensive 'guaranteed unchewable' bed from Orvis, who claimed a dog had never chewed through one - she had made a hole within 40 minutes. Luckily we sent back the remains and got refunded :)

The only solution for us was a firm hammock-style canvas bed in her crate - this one:
    https://kuranda.com/dog-beds/standard-dog-bed
    and this really does seem to be unchewable :) well at least for a soft-fabric obsessive like Indie. Completely unmarked 6 months later, and since then she grew out of her chewing phase and has a softer bed for lounging outside of her crate. I would highly recommend this bed - very expensive but I'm pretty sure you only need to buy once rather than replacing soft beds every month! And because it is no good to chew, they tend to turn their attention to whatever 'authorised' chew you have left them with instead.

Her chewing was awful at 9 months too (although she was stressed at that age as that's when we adopted her) - but I read somewhere they have a teenage teething phase around that time which is setting their adult teeth in their jaw..? Actually with Indie she would drag her bed around and hump it before chewing :eek: it was around her first heat...so not sure our problem was teething!

5. PFSchles

PFSchles Registered Users

We were fired from Orvis as a customer for beds because they didn't believe how many "chew proof" beds were actually chewed. They'd get that zipper and off to the races.
    The Kuranda bed is great - ours are on their third lab now.