Chewing monster!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Oct 10, 2014.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Re: Chewing monster!

Some things on Amazon can be delivered here. Sadly, that isn't one of them! I'll have a look to see what our pet shop has, otherwise I'll see if anyone is driving over in the next couple of weeks and get some sent to them.

[quote author=Loopyloo30 link=topic=8209.msg116045#msg116045 date=1413009961]How to puppies chew a wall just out of interest?! [/quote]

Either on the corners or where the plaster is a bit rough. She also likes to chew the bricks on the small step outside, which makes me shudder!

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8209.msg116054#msg116054 date=1413012781]

Either on the corners or where the plaster is a bit rough. She also likes to chew the bricks on the small step outside, which makes me shudder!
    [/quote]

Teething!

:)

Gypsy lost a tooth today, she was crunching something and I asked her to show me - a tooth!

3. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8209.msg116054#msg116054 date=1413012781]

[/quote]

OMG we are in the process of renovating our house at the moment. The only saving grace is that we are doing the upstairs first and Bob isn't coming up to start with. And if we aren't around he'll be crated. Or supervised. Will be getting spray (start as you mean to go on) and loads of chew toys today! Last minute panic purchases lol!

Lou x

4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

The spray worked really well for us. Just be very careful not to let any of it get on any of his own toys (or on him!).

We needed one and a half bottles to get us all the way through the chewing phase (a few weeks) - so not too much of an investment and I think it helped him learn to distinguish what was 'OK' and what was not.

Quite a lot of it went on the curtains....

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=8209.msg116058#msg116058 date=1413013260]
    Teething!

:)
    [/quote]

Willow's too young to be teething, surely? She's 9 weeks today. I thought it didn't start until 13-16 weeks? :-\

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Gypsy has been teething since we got her!

(10 weeks)

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Not all pups chew everything in sight. I was lucky that Harley never chewed or demolished anything except her own toys, empty boxes/plastic bottles. Just to reassure some of you that are worried that all pups chew ;)

8. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Sadly bitter apple spray didn't work for me, or only for a short while, but worth a try.
    I think the evening mad time is normal - we called it 'happy hour' (2 jumps and bites for the price of one!) - but it will pass. If you can get some big cardboard boxes, they might keep her occupied. Molly used to like climbing in and out, rolling around in them and chewing them to bits.

9. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I didn't suffer too badly with chewing,thank goodness because Dexter could have crunched the house down if he'd started.....
    Ice cubes were popular with us and when he was first introduced they were a good game too ......chasing them round a bit.
    Anything cardboard was used to hide kibble in .....I still hoard cardboard boxes now out of habit ;D you just have to accept your house can look a bit like a rubbish tip!
    I tied a squeaky toy up in a pair of 100 denier tights last week too when Dex had his playmate spaniel round...it made the toy survive the play date otherwise they are a waste of money and chewed up by one of them in minutes.
    I put 2 Ping pong balls in my wobbler ( that sounds hilairious doesn't it?) so it takes him longer to empty it,if not it hardly slows him down at all...it's just a different shaped food bowl ::)
    Our 'Happy Hour' was called 'The Prowl'....I much prefer Happy Hour,wine might have helped me cope!
    They are great fun though and the day comes when they snooze and dose the evening away through what once was 'The Prowl' x

10. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Wow some great tips. Rolo has discovered that the lino comes up in the corners of the kitchen so has become a pro at chewing on it. Definitely going to get some chew spray. I didn't know you could give a puppy cardboard. Won't he just eat it?

11. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=Rolokris link=topic=8209.msg117147#msg117147 date=1413438939]
    I didn't know you could give a puppy cardboard. Won't he just eat it?
    [/quote]

Wierdly no, they just shred it & leave it.

12. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Right then need to get me some cardboard boxes. ;D

13. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I would caution about giving puppies cardboard boxes, old empty plastic bottles etc. It might be fun, but later how are they to know which bottle and box they can attack?

14. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

:) when mine goes into mad mode its all toys on deck we keep a couple of new things back is sock balls or even and old towel for him to rediscover rotate toys too so they don't get bored .
    Kong's with really stinky stuff fish cheese etc. Best is being able to put his lead on and ten mins round block soon takes the bounce down to normal levels again. Good luck.

15. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

[quote author=Mollly link=topic=8209.msg117159#msg117159 date=1413444421]
    I would caution about giving puppies cardboard boxes, old empty plastic bottles etc. It might be fun, but later how are they to know which bottle and box they can attack?
    [/quote]

We've never had that problem with Pongo - weirdly perhaps, he doesn't attack any cardboard box that we haven't given him. (Mind you, we don't leave cardboard boxes lying around on the floor, just so he doesn't get too tempted!). Be prepared to have to clear up vast quantities of destroyed cardboard, though.... a big brush is better than the hoover. They just adore the joy of destruction.

By the way, Pongo likes the really tough cardboard boxes best - the strong ones that give him a good workout...

16. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Also, try giving yur pup the inside tube of your kitchen rollwhen its used up. Puppy will go mad for it.

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley loves cardboard boxes too :) she won't take it unless she is given it :)

18. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

Second the bitter apply spray. It really worked for us. The other thing that helped was putting some loose change into an empty can and shaking it any time she started chewing the furniture. She started associating that awful noise with the furniture ...worked like a charm. (Not sure others will agree with using that particular technique.)

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Rue7514 link=topic=8209.msg117359#msg117359 date=1413492698]
    She started associating that awful noise with the furniture ...worked like a charm. (Not sure others will agree with using that particular technique.)
    [/quote]

Well...no. I don't think it is desirable to try to surprise or shock a dog with loud noises. Not when so many people then struggle with fireworks, trains, gunshot....it seems to me that you want a dog to accept and be happy with loud noises whatever the source. :)

20. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8209.msg117360#msg117360 date=1413492929]
    [quote author=Rue7514 link=topic=8209.msg117359#msg117359 date=1413492698]
    She started associating that awful noise with the furniture ...worked like a charm. (Not sure others will agree with using that particular technique.)
    [/quote]

Well...no. I don't think it is desirable to try to surprise or shock a dog with loud noises. Not when so many people then struggle with fireworks, trains, gunshot....it seems to me that you want a dog to accept and be happy with loud noises whatever the source. :)
    [/quote]

Right, I definitely get that. And maybe it depends on the dog. A vet suggested that to me as an effective way to get them to stop, and we haven't had to use it in probably a month and a half as it quickly stopped the problem. She doesn't have issues with other loud noises at this point. But I totally get why others wouldn't agree with this.