Choc Charlie

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by JulieT, May 21, 2015.

1. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Brilliant !

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Really good news - another milestone passed. So pleased for you both :D

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Glad all is good! When you have a moment, let us know what they said...

4. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Excellent news! Well done Charlie and you! :D

5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Brilliant news, and such a relief! :)

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sorry, was cuddling Charlie...he is very out of sorts, poor lad.

He made a terrible noise in the waiting room with the other dogs, whining and sort of half barking. Then didn't want to co-operate with being examined (he was very squirmy and wriggly) - I got the impression he has had enough, really. But the amount of noise really depressed me, as he didn't used to do this, and I was thinking I can't really take him to clickerexpo if he is going to do this around other dogs - he'd disrupt all the classes. :( That's really got me down, actually.

Anyway, the good news...he is walking really well, and the bone healing is a bit better than they would expect to see at this stage.

This is a picture of his knee:

[​IMG]x ray1 by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

The area inside the red circle is the area where he has to grow new bone - you can see the area in the V shaped is starting to be filled with bone, but it's far from done. It has to fill with bone all the way to the top (Charlie's first leg has almost completely filled after a year). But it is filled enough now for the main risk period to be over. That means he now is very unlikely to displace the implant or shatter the split bone (ahem - so long as he remains "sensible").

He can do steps now, slowly on a lead. And he can have his exercised upped slowly now.

We have to go back in January to evaluate the elbows - the surgeon said he wasn't lame, but looked a bit uneven.

This is the church I didn't get to look round:

[​IMG]church by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Really pleased Julie. He's getting there. Don't think about the elbows - with any luck that will just be due to having to adjust his gait for his knee.

8. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Fantastic to hear how well he is doing, and it's thanks to you. Really pleased for you. And Charlie.

9. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Pleased to hear that Charlie's recovery is going well. Does he have to continue on-lead for a while longer?

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

He will stay on lead until he sees the physio on the 4th August and then we'll see. It's possible he will be able to have a bit of time on a longer lead and a harness, on quiet high sided lanes, after that.

11. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

That all sounds excellent!!

Don't worry about clickerexpo. The trigger for his unhappiness today could well have been a smell or noise that you get in medical type places couldn't it? which one would hope won't pop up in a hotel in Warwickshire xxx

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

hhmmm.......I'm not so sure. I think he has reverted back, and got much worse (ie this time with noise, that I didn't have last time) to about May 2014.....:(:(:(

Sigh, sigh, sigh....and there is no point in glossing over it. Because when I need a break you (as you promised, remember) are going to be holding a noisy, mad Chocolate in a hotel in Warwickshire....bwahahahaha

13. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I remember. I have bulk ordered king prawns!

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hehehehe ;D

16. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Good to hear the medical tests and prognosis are good so far! When is ClickerExpo? Try not to fret, Julie, just go and enjoy what you can - maybe a little, maybe a lot, but at least it will be an outing! Hopefully Charlie will bounce back to his usual cheery self once all the restrictions are lifted...not that long, now....

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Went back to see the nice ladies with the rubber sticks...after running for the sticks, get to chew them.

Chewed up the orange stick - chewed it all up so there was nothing left.....

[​IMG]ear massage with orange stick by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

But it was ok, because the stick ladies had another one, a blue one but I didn't quite have time to finish all of that one. I'll get it next time.

[​IMG]blue stick by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

Mum left some of my toys in the toy basket...muttering about replacement for sticks....

18. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hehehehehehe. Good work, Charlie-dog!

19. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

So glad to hear Charlie is healing well. As for the sticks, well, if a boy can't run, he has to be allowed a good chew! Go Charlie!
    Wish I had seen your post about what to do in Cambridge; I could have given you a list :)

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

They said "great gnashers" Charlie. He was pleased they appreciated his chewing - he has trained long and hard, ever since being a puppy, really....