Choc Charlie's new training log...

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by JulieT, Aug 21, 2015.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So, while our outdoor training has slipped somewhat, but we'll get back on track, we have been working on two things from ClickerExpo.

The first has been a calm chin rest on a towel, which I'm going to use for all handling procedures - I posted about that on the ear cleaning thread. I can now move my finger around his mouth and he'll keep his head on the towel, although reduces the pressure a little bit - which I find very interesting. He absolutely 'gets' the deal about his head on the towel. I know this technique can be explained in terms of simply proofing his head on the towel despite distractions, but it also seems a super helpful way to interact with a dog during routine hygiene/vet procedures.

I had an interesting conversation with Fiona and Barbara yesterday though - in order to actually proof this in the vet's you need access to the vet's examination room, plus a vet with the time to co-operate! Which is not easily available to me. Still though, my vet can be 'persuaded' to accommodate all sorts of requests....he is an angel....so maybe.....:p

The other thing I've been working on is Cecilie Køste's doggie zen bowl. Again, Fiona, Barbara and I worked on this yesterday. It was really interesting to see other dogs doing this alongside Charlie. I am always surprised at how normal normal dogs are!

The idea is that you have something of value in the bowl. You don't want the bowl to lose any appeal to the dog, in that you are not trying to get the dog to ignore the bowl - you want the reward in the bowl to be the best thing in the world and get your dog, uncued, to choose to work with you despite the bowl. And then you say ‘get it’ as the reward and the dog goes to gets his super reward from the super zen bowl.

The key is not to cue the dog to leave the bowl – it’s not a leave it exercise. It’s about the choices the dog makes.

Anyway, the thing with Charlie is the empty bowl is enough of a reward. The empty bowl is an exciting thing in itself, and it's very rewarding for him to pick up the bowl and run round with it like a loon. On he final exercise, Charlie picked up the bowl, tipped out his most valuable runaround toy, took the bowl and legged it….then lay down in a big muddy puddle, and crunched up the bowl. :rolleyes:

Ah, Charlie. I’ve learned so very much from trying to train this nutty dog. So, I’ll have to choose now – to give up and do something else, or use a ceramic zen bowl. Which will be a bit heavy to carry round. A metal one will be no good, because he’ll still pick it up. :rolleyes:

2. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Registered Users

could you use rice paper kindof cupcake one which is "disposable/edible" ? not sure if they are OK for dogs

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The reward is to EAT the zen bowl? I'm not quite sure that's quite the idea....I might as well just put a toy or food on the floor.....

4. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Registered Users

are two bowls permissible? I find it easier to have one bowl either side of where I am working - with one bowl I kindof get a slightly lopsided response - ie if I ask for a spin, there is a lean and a finish nearer the one bowl - two just seems to be easier. I guess if she was really ignoring the bowl until released then it would be OK. - perhaps we could work up to that

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I don't see why you shouldn't use two bowls. I also don't see why you shouldn't use the placement of the remote rewards to help you create the movement you want. Sounds like a good idea to me.

You never want the dog to truly 'give up' the zen bowl like you would a distraction that you don't want them to have. Indeed, if the zen bowl loses its 'pull' you need to let the dog get to it more.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Such an enthusiast!

The choccy boy, Max, at puppy class - the same age as Twiglet - is turning out to be the same. Gorgeous, super friendly and exceedingly enthusiastic. He's down to become a stud dog for Guide Dogs, great genes to have in the pool imo!

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes....although Charlie would surely make a rubbish guide dog! He maybe lacking in a lot, but has enthusiasm by the bucket load! I hope those genes in the guide dog pool are diluted by an equal bucket load of common sense. If so, that would be a winning combination, for sure.

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

They will be - he will be crossed with Golden Retrievers - which tend to be very sensible but rather diffident/offhand/phlegmatic!

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

What colour are Lab Choccie X GR? Are they all yellow or can you get a choccie?

10. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Ummm did you forget the bit where he ignored two dogs and a twirling DUMMY!!!! Charlie did good, really good!

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh yes! He was very good on that bit - although we've been doing a LOT of work, I was a bit disappointed he ran over to you and Riley really. Which is silly because I can't go from him ignoring pet dogs to ignoring a dog that seriously retrieves in one bound of course. In his mind, there is a BIG BIG difference. I was really pleased with him, something to build on there....

12. bbrown

I was twirling a dummy round on the end of its string.......pretty tempting!!!! :)

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Tonight, Charlie ignored a football in the park. It wasn't moving very fast, a chap was just pushing it along as he walked. But, still.....that's the first time Charlie has EVER been able to ignore a football, outside of a training set up.

14. bbrown

See! He's awesome :D

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I know! Ignoring you and Riley with a dummy (er....well.....mostly.....), and now a football. Should I take him to the vet d'you think? :)

16. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Well done Charlie!! Superstar dog.

Now he has to come up with something good to restore the balance of his hooligan status.

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

He'll manage, no doubt....:rolleyes::D:D

18. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Charlie you are such a star.

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That sounds like progress!

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Tut. I'm seriously suffering from "sergeant major voice". You know, that stupid, stern voice that people put on when they think the dog might not do what they want? And it sounds SO stupid, and so amateurish. Like it's really going to make a difference. And what's more, your dog is probably more likely to do what you want if you used your normal, happy, training voice.

It's like, under pressure, you forgot sensible science, and revert back to nonsense about the dog needing to know 'you really mean it'.

Nuts.

Must find a way to improve self control so I don't do it....