Chocolate Lab being aggressive to our other dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by malcolm thom, Dec 3, 2013.

1. malcolm thom

malcolm thom Registered Users

Good morning folks,

So we have a 20 month Chocolate Lab Coco and a 9 years old jack russell, they have been pals about 3 weeks after we brought the Lab home as a 8 week old pup. But lately they has been a bit of aggression the lab will get in the jack russells space then the jack russell will growl but instead of the lab backing off like she used to do they are now going for each other.

Then when I get them home they are best of friends washing each other face and sleep in the same bed.

We walk the dogs together along with the parm which makes it tough I agree 2 dogs and a parm.

Anyone got any ideas about solving the problem, I know I could walk them separately but we have a busy house and 3-4 hours of walking dogs is just too much.

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Chocolate Lab being aggressive to our other dog

Hi Malcolm and welcome to the forum :) :)
    I also have a Lab and a terrier , a mix that I`ve always had and found to be a good one .
    First thing to asl , have your dogs been neutered ? I have always found that a Lab will back down, but if your Lab isnt spayed, then this could possibly be a dominance issue ?

3. malcolm thom

Morning Kate,

thanks for the reply, Answer is no none of them have been Neutered, Our vet said that the Jack Russell is too old and there could be problem with the operation, and I was going to breed with the lab but I am now thinking more to get her neutered.

Thanks again for the reply.

Malcolm, Meg, Coco

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I think it would be a wise move Malcolm , good luck :)

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I can't help with you question but hi from Dexter and I ,a yellow 14 month old
    Hope things settle down with your 2
    Best wishes
    Angela

6. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Malcolm, has your bitch had a season yet? Is is possible that she is coming into season?

7. malcolm thom

Yeah Coco has had atleast one season, As far as I can tell she only comes into season once a year so I do not think it is that. I have had them both out over the past few days and they have been as normal JR growels at her and she back down.

Thanks for all the replies I will keep an eye on her and see what is putting the wind up her.

Malcolm

8. malcolm thom

Something I never thought about until Heidrun mentioned it.

About two days before the Lab and Jr started snapping at each other one of our friends was at the house for a few days with a Female Rottweiler now she had been in season about 1-2 days before they came to our house.

I wonder if the Rottweiler had an effect on my Lab and JR hmmmmmm.

Thanks for all the replies

Malcolm, Meg, Coco