Chocolate Lab turning white

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sabine74, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Sabine74

Sabine74 Registered Users

Hi all, So I know that my girls mom was diluted, she was grey/ silver in color, and dad was a nice chocolate brown. I have read about the different color combinations, diluted gene and such, but could not find anything that looked like my girls coat. They were either brown, or all of the coat was a silver tone. Just curious if anyone seen this before, and if it was normal if one is dilute? Thanks:)
    [​IMG]received_896128853919520 by mia_74de, on Flickr

Janelle Green likes this.
  2. Sabine74

Sabine74 Registered Users

Just wanted to add, there is not a visible white hair on her, you can't see it unless you brush against her fur. Its just from the root to about halfway up to the top of her hair.

3. Lindsay

Lindsay Registered Users

Hi @Sabine74 ! This exact same thing is happening to our purebred Chocolate Lab, Basil. It started showing up around 11 weeks, she is 17 weeks now. Both parents are completely chocolate- we are confused as well!

Janelle Green and Sabine74 like this.
  4. Lindsay

Lindsay Registered Users

5. Jimmy3d

Jimmy3d Registered Users

That thread was started about my now 2 year old Marley when he he was a pup. It seems that the pictures I originally posted have disappeared. But also the white hairs on his tail have also completely disappeared! It took until he was about a year old, but the ring turned back into just a spot and soon was gone for good.

6. Janelle Green

Janelle Green Registered Users

Hello I have a 15 week old chocolate lab female. Her mom is charcoal and her dad is a yellow lab. (AKC registered) she had a small amount of white fur, midway up her tail that we noticed around 10 weeks. Now she has a significant amount of white-ish hair growing from midway up to the tip of her tail. The thing is, the hair is white-ish for about 3/4 the length of the hair from the root and the tip of the hair is brown. (think human going gray) Just wondering if this is a problem? I've read about silvers getting alopecia and obviously she has a dilute gene, so I have concerns.( I wish I would have done more research prior to choosing a puppy, but I love her just the same) the picture you posted of your dog's tail is exactly what my puppy's tail looks like. So strange!
    Since your posts are older...can you update how your dog's tail is now?

Christina2807 likes this.
  7. Travis Adams

Travis Adams Registered Users

@Sabine74 did this continue or did the white hairs eventually fall out? I have a pure bred 1 yr old chocolate, he came home with a white ring on his tail and now the entire undercoat is almost white. The ring is faintly noticeable and when you pull back the top coat the entire tails is white. Hoping to find some answers on why this is happening?

8. shubham sharma

shubham sharma Registered Users

Hi everyone,

My almkst 4 years old chocolate labrador is also facing this issue...the roots of her whole coat has turned whitish but the tips are completely chocolate coloured.

Our Vet suggested to shave her and to give her omega 3 and omega 6 in her diet...so we shaved her today and after shaving, almost every (remaining short) hair except on her legs and face is white. What is this happening, is it treatable, I am worried about my Coco. Please help anybody :(