Choosing my puppy this evening!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Choosing my puppy this evening!

How exciting, I loved being chosen by my pups. Photos please!

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I will be boring everyone with photos as soon as I get home, don't you worry!

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hurrah!

You won't regret it! I have the best ever fiesty black bitch but yours will come a close second! ;)

Enjoy the anticipation ;D ;D ;D

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Fabulous, congratulations!

5. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Aww got to love a black bitch! ;D
    Can't wait to see pics. Has she got a name yet?

6. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[​IMG]

Congratulations.

7. snowbunny

[quote author=Kirriegirl link=topic=7974.msg112618#msg112618 date=1411654051]
    Has she got a name yet?
    [/quote]

Not yet! I had a list of names I'd thrown around in my head before knowing what colour/sex we were getting, but now I can narrow them down. I'm a little sad to lose Sol and Luna (both definitely more suited to the yellows!) but I have a few more thoughts. Maybe Juno? Although the Spanish would struggle with that J! Or Tipsy... Storm .... Oh, I don't know! Now I know what she's like, we can come up with some more thoughts and maybe see how she responds to them next time we see her :)

8. cubby

cubby Registered Users

Just out of curiousity, what does a fiesty dog grow into?

My last lab was pretty much chosen because he was the biggest. He turned out to be a wonderful dog. Very laid back. I wouldnt call him fiesty. He was very mellow. He had lots of energy as a puppy, but people usually thought he was mellow. He only really cared about eating.

Now we are picking out a new puppy and I wonder what a fiesty one is like? Do they require more exercise, are they more likely to get into chewing things that you dont want them to chew? I just dont know if I should go running from a fiesty pup, or what? I kind of liked that my last lab was big & dumb. I feel like he was easy to please and just went with the flow.

9. snowbunny

The breeder said that their personalities can change markedly in the next few weeks, anyhow, but we wanted one that was outgoing and confident at this stage. One of the other girls was a little timid for me - but luckily already chosen by wonderful new "parents" who were a little older so found her quiet demeanour a bonus. One of the others, however, a black boy, is certainly going to be a handful when he grows up and I'm glad we have something in between. Good news for him is that he's being kept by the breeder to be trained as a gun dog so will be in experienced hands :)

10. MontysMum

MontysMum Registered Users

I chose the smallest and quietiest one.......like that really made a difference, not!! He is currently hoolying around the room!

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Congratulations Fiona!

12. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Yes congratulations. Now the fun begins!

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Terrific news :)

My first dog was mellow. The current one is feisty. Both have their attractions :) But sometimes I feel a bit old for feisty ;D

The only thing I'd steer clear of is timid. But as Snowbunny said I don't know that puppy temperament is highly predictive of adult temperament... Still, I'd avoid extremes for a pet dog...

14. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

:)congratulations on your new puppy. We went for Lemmy as he was first one to want cuddles off my Husband all the others were bombing about he was really sweet and snuggly but not timid, originally we wanted a girl but he just seemed to fit. Two weeks and he is still cuddle monster but full of personality and as he's eager to please so picking up training quickly.

15. snowbunny

Something else we like about her is that she loves belly rubs. Some of the others just weren't interested. I can't resist a round puppy belly!

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds like a perfect match :)

17. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=7974.msg113027#msg113027 date=1411802867]
    Something else we like about her is that she loves belly rubs. Some of the others just weren't interested. I can't resist a round puppy belly!
    [/quote]

omg, the puppy pot belly, irriesistable

18. A.Causer

A.Causer Registered Users

I think Amber is proof 6 week personality is not an indicator of adult personality. She was the fattest, wrinkliest, most laid back pup who loved cuddles. By 9 weeks she was a hyperactive savage crocodile, worst biting I've experienced. Now at 7 months she's lean, hyper, cheeky and hilarious but luckily the biting has calmed down massively (just the occasional cheeky nip for attention or if being defiant). She also went from being very quiet to barking like a rottie on guard duty in the last month or so. I think part of her current behaviour is because she is thinking about having her first season. Things that have stayed from when we first met her to now are her massive ears and rather nice large head.