Citron collar???

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by LouieLab, Apr 11, 2018.

1. LouieLab

LouieLab Registered Users

louie barks a LOT at anyone and anything passing the yard so I cannot Even let him be out in the yard. I was told to try a citron spray collar- is this ok?? Is it mean? Does it even work? He’s a male, 2 years old, but really large and muscular- I live in a community where houses are right next to each other and people pass by all day. I’m attempting to set up a fence this spring.
    The barks incessantly at anything passing the yard. My neighbors hate me- so he’s mostly just walked and not able to enjoy the yard which is sad

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi, I definitely would not use a citron collar. Both my dogs are / were barkers when left on their own in the front garden. The only good way I have found to teach them not to bark at passersby is to spend time out there with them, and reward them for quietly watching people, rather than barking. To be honest, I wouldn't leave a dog out on his own in the yard, as they quickly get bored and can develop bad habits (as you have found out!).

We have neighbours with a dog that barks constantly, and I agree it is infuriating...

3. LouieLab

LouieLab Registered Users

Thank you - I don’t want to make his outdoor life miserable I had just been told that was the way. We will just have to allow him outside in the yard when we are there with him:)

BevE likes this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Citronella is not nice stuff at all. My neighbour uses one of these collars on her barky Collie. She goes to the same dog school as we do. Poor Fly always looks terrified when she puts it on him. She shouts threats, he looks unhappy and if he barks again, out comes the collar. Poor Fly.