Class Clown

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by SteffiS, Oct 7, 2015.

1. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Oh dear Ripple was a shocker at his puppy class last night - rolled round on the floor, instigated mouth biting games with the other puppies and decided he had no idea how to walk on the lead whatsoever! One lady asked me to keep him away from her tiny terrier type puppy as she thought Ripple was going to hurt him.
    By the time we were half way through he had worn himself out being so silly and laid on the floor getting in everyone's way, he would get up do the sit or stay for a second and then throw himself down again.
    It's really annoying as he does all this stuff when we're at home and has been doing it for the last two weeks at class as well.

When I got home a cup of tea and some chocolate biscuits were definitely what I needed.

2. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Oh no! I can just imagine it hehe ☺. Is your class indoors or outside? Luckily our training classes are outside so if one of use has one of these "special" moments we can just walk off to the side and compose ourselves! All of our puppies are between 5 and 9 months so we seem to take it in turns to have a crazy week hehe ☺

Definitely a tea and chocolate biscuit night for you (or perhaps a wine or two)!

3. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Indoors class - so nowhere to hide.
    Funnily enough I don't really drink but I actually looked to see if we had any wine, sadly no.

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Haha, he sounds like a great character. Typical Labrador! No wonder you considered a tipple when you got home :)

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah yes.....the inestimable pleasure they take in showing us up after lulling us into a false sense of security!

Chocolate and/or wine should come as part of the puppy pack. Welcome to labradors! :D

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I couldn't imagine being a tee-total Labrador puppy owner :D

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

If you're tee-total when you get your pup, you won't be for long. Puppy owners need wine to de-stress ;);)

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh dear me...been there,worn the tshirt.....drunk the wine! Don't be disheartened....it will be somebody else's turn next week,or it might be yours again and if it is don't worry x.......just keep at it,practicing at home without all the distractions ....the more you practice and proof the better things will become...if he really does get giddy ,do move out of the room for a breather and to gather your reserves of patience and dignity ( you get low on both in an hours class ....in fact I think my dignity reserves are completely empty!)

9. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Pongo is now 20 months old and the main thing I have learned is that as his owner I need to have (a) no dignity; (b) no pride; (c) an inexhaustible supply of ways to apologise to people; and (d) an infinite ability to laugh at it all.

Does any of this sound familiar???

Love him!

R

10. snowbunny

e) an inexhaustible supply of alcohol

11. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Thank you, all your comments have made me feel better (and given me a much needed laugh).

I took Ripple to the park this morning and he did everything he should have done last night, including the new things we were shown which Ripple had not done at all saying " nope, no idea what you're on about".

I also had a little chuckle to myself about the lady who asked me to keep Ripple away from her puppy, as the only one in danger of hurting it was the lady herself, who kept treading on it! - poor dog.

Definitely getting a bottle of wine in time for the next class.

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hah Hah! Sorry to laugh (but it's best if you do). Labrador puppies should come with a label "I'm guaranteed to show you up in puppy class - especially if someone else has a perfectly behaved border collie".

Sorry to break the news to you, but it carries on a fair bit longer than just puppy class. Just get your wine order in now...:D:D:D

13. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hah hah. We have all been there...if not in puppy class, somewhere else!

14. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Hahaha defo been there! :rolleyes: Yesterday Baxter's class started back after a 3 week break. Thought i'd tire him out before we went so hopefully avoid looney tunes but it backfired as every command resulted in him collapsing in a heap and refusing to move! Needless to say everyone found it very entertaining :eek:

15. snowbunny

I'm kinda glad we don't have puppy classes here. Imagine going through all that, but with TWO of the monsters!

The perfectly-behaved Border Collie comment made me laugh. There is a BC in our street the same age as my two. All I hear is the owners shouting "Cannelle, Cannelle, CANNELLE!!!!" as she runs circles around them when they're trying to catch her :D :D :D

16. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Our puppy classes have ALL Labs or Lab crosses - you can imagine the mayhem! Great fun 'tho! :) :)

17. Raven12

Raven12 Registered Users

For the last few weeks Jura and a Pointer pup called Harris have taken it in turns to be "class clown". When one is the clown the other is an angel! Thankfully for the last couple of weeks Harris has taken on the responsibility of the clown role, I think it is only a matter of time before Jura decides it's her turn though!

18. niclibrarylady

niclibrarylady Registered Users

Very Familiar !
    Our First puppy session ( last Week) poppy & I were sent to the where the naughty girls go part of the hall. Thats where we spent most of the evening :eek:. WE also got glared at. I too came home for a large glass of wine. Well onwards and upwards Class 2 tomorrow.

19. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Yes! And, as Fiona says, that inexhaustible supply of alcohol too!

20. jools

jools Registered Users

Hahaha! Eric is just the same.
    First week he spent the whole time trying to reach the other dogs to play and wouldn't even sit. He is a fab sitter usually!
    This week (2nd week) My there was an obstacle course. He ran the opposite way, wouldn't walk on lead (we're not good at that anyway) took absolutely no notice of me. Gulped his treats. Threw up. Ate it. Then quick as a flash ate the electricians tape that was holding down the hula hoop!

As we left the young couple said 'we love Eric'
    Yes. Yes I'm sure you do.
    Makes every other dog look amazing

Hahahaha..... God only knows what will happen this week :D