Clicker for Heel work?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by charlie, Jan 16, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I wondered if clicker training Charlie to heel might work or would it be a bit much as we are already doing lots of training? don't want to confuse the poor lad as it doesn't take much!! ;D Also if you clicker train do you always have to use it or can it be phased out when they get the message? Thanks Helen x

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Clicker for Heel work?

Hi Helen, the clicker is used for establishing new behaviours, you don't need to continue using it long term. Here is my article on clicker heel
    Pippa

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thank you Pippa, seems easy enough even for me!! ;) Helen x

4. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi Helen. The clicker is a lovely way to train cos it's all positive - no conflict, and nice and chilled! I'd say you've nothing to lose by giving it a try! Enjoy!

Sam.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Sam, thank you as you said I have nothing to lose, except having to change my command which might prove difficult when we eventually can walk Hattie and Charlie together, as we have always used heel for Hattie. What do you think? Helen

6. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

I found I didn't have enough hands to clicker train with heel - lead, treats and clicker - but I know folk do it. I just kept getting in a bit of a tangle. I found my other reward marker, which is saying "good" much easier for this kind of activity, although when I've used the clicker for certain activities indoors it has proved very effective. Trouble is if I get the clicker out Digby knows what's about to happen and just starts going through his repertoire in the hope of the click/treat. When I got it out yesterday he went something like this: sat, down, sat again, hi five, ran to his bed, laid down in his bed, ran back to me, sat down and I hadn't said a word. :D

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Wow great that Digby can do those things to the clicker and he is so young too. I might give it a go for heel work as everything else has just not worked. Not sure if in Charlie's previous life 'heel' was used and failed so I think we need to change altogether and start from scratch. His lead work has very much improved but would ideally like him to heel. If we do and he gets it I understand it can be phased out and then just use new command. Thanks Helen :)

8. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

I swear some of these posts make me laugh so loud the neighbours must think I've lost the plot as of late. Sersi, now THAT is priceless !!!!! hahahaha

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

My mother doesnt use a clicker as such, but just makes a 'clicking' noise with her tongue to indicate to her young border collie when she is doing well. Seems to work for them! :)

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

How interesting Karen, I went to a dog class that a lady used that technique too on a rescue dog, but she was a very good dog unlike some I could mention!!! ;) Helen x

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sorry just want to clarify that I might want to use the clicker for heel work ON LEAD to help stop Charlie's pulling, is that possible? No where near doing off lead if ever!! ;) Helen x

12. Sammie@labforumHQ

Hi Helen

You can teach a clicker off lead heel first - then add the lead later. I did a bit with a bouncy lead-pulling spaniel pup. He would RUSH to the heel position and stick like GLUE for several steps (as far along as we got as sadly he passed away very young). Have seen one of Pippa's dogs stick fast while she changed speed, direction, and even walked backwards!

I believe teaching off lead heel first is quite common in some circles!

Sam.

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sam, thank you for clarifying, it sounds like fun I think I will give it a go, although don't think we would get to Pippa's standard :eek:. So sorry about the Spaniel pup, how very sad. :'( Helen x

14. Sammie@labforumHQ

Thanks Helen. It was a long time ago, but we still miss him. He was a very enthusiastic little man - perfect for clicker work!