Clicker training

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Teresa999, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Teresa999

Teresa999 Registered Users

I have just started clicker training with George and it's going really well. I wasn't sure though if I should only use it to train one behaviour at a time - e.g. he's learning 'down' at the moment, does that mean I should wait until he can do down and then start using the clicker for a new behaviour? Or can I work on multiple behaviours with the clicker? I don't want to confuse him, but obviously it would be better if I could work on more than one behaviour at a time.
    Thanks

2. Jase77

Jase77 Registered Users

Hi Teresa,

We recently started with the clicker too and like you and George it's going well. We trained most of the basic commands with the clicker at the same time, eg, lay down, sit, paw and stay. My understanding is that you should continue to use the clicker even when they have mastered one behaviour. I make a point of going through all of the clicker commands (is this the right phrase) that we have learnt everyday in a different order, just to keep us on our toes.

Not sure if this is 100% correct, but it's working for us.
    Good luck,
    Jason

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

That is such a good question! :)

The difference between a cue and command is quite subtle. In my own words I will try to explain what this means.

A "command" is quite authoritative, People who use commands often seem to bark these out..."SIT!!!" A bit like a drill sergeant major. :) It is often associated with a negative consequence if they don't. BAD FIDO!!!! Commands are now seen as a bit old fashioned, and even harsh.

Cues are different. The is no punitive consequence if they are misunderstood. They are more like a prompt to do or start something. There is more of a co-operative response to them because the outcome will be a positive one. Cues go hand in hand with positive reinforcement. A command is completed because they HAVE to, any non-co-operation may be rewarded with a lead jerk for example in the dogs mind. Now I am not suggesting for an instant that anyone who uses the term "command" is training this way, but it may explain why the language doesn't quite feel right. :)

Jase77 likes this.
  4. Jase77

Jase77 Registered Users

Thanks for the explanation. :) I have been reading some books regarding this and couldn't remember the correct term. I do not want to give her commands or orders. A cue is much nicer.

5. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

It's great that you want to clicker train. I only train one new behaviour in a training session and allow some play time/ slep time between sessions to aid learning. So a training session may be a few minutes improving on a cue followed by a few minutes on a new behaviour
    Once you have a behaviour on a good cue you can drop the clicker and introduce a schedule of reinforcement for rewards.