Clicker Training

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by JezLincs, Jun 28, 2012.

1. JezLincs

JezLincs Registered Users

So we have recently have tried clicker training with George's jumping and have been very pleased with the results. Jumping just at us when excited or trying to get toys has been drastically reduced (we're still practicing when meeting others)

[​IMG]

I'm keen to increase the clicker traing and wondered how and if it should be used with caution?

Am I right basically you click when they are doing something you want? e.g sitting nicely next to you, click reward. Standing next to the sofa rather than jumping on it, click reward...?

Or does it have to follow something? e.g jump on sofa, call them down with a treat, click once down and then reward?

Can this be overused and become redundant or always okay to use when needed?

Why does it work, I'm interested in why this seems to resonate with a dog more than a word...then reward.

Are there any sites which explain the basics further so I can build up my own routines using it?

Thanks for any opinions :)

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Clicker Training

Hi Jez, well done for making progress, and love the photo of George!

You are right in thinking that you click the behaviour you want. The clicker is simply a reward marker, and it is a better reward marker than a word because it is both precise and totally consistent.

Here is some information: Clicker training, what's it all about?

What is clicker training There are links from this article to lots more information.

Then there is this one Ten reasons to start clicker training
    And there is this one Karen Pryor's clicker training basics

Hope that helps get you started, Pippa

3. JezLincs

Thank you Pippa helpful as always.

I get the click then reward good behaviour, but still not grasping how to prevent an action they are determined to still do.

Using our sofa jumping as an example...

Do we let him jump on the sofa to tempt him off and click once off, even actually asking him to get up there, to then click him once off? i.e this video that seems odd to me.

Or when he wonders next to the sofa and we know he is going to try it do we click that as he is not actually doing it yet and kind of doing what we want him to do, not jump on it.

Or even use OFF click reward, on your bed click reward would that be a better process? Shaping his behaviour every time he approaches the sofa with the idea of jumping on it.

So building up tasks clicking each step is the way forward...?

4. pippa@labforumHQ

You can use reinforcement in different ways for example

• [li]teach the dog to get off the sofa when he is already on there [/li]
      [li]to increase the likelihood that the dog will choose not to get on there (by reinforcing an alternative choice like keeping all four feet on the floor when he is next to the sofa) [/li]
      [li]to train obedience to a cue for an alternative behaviour such as 'leave that', or 'get in your bed' [/li]

Each of these is a valid use of reinforcement, none is wrong or right, and the clicker is simply a tool to help you do this.
    Which method you choose is up to you.

But, if you only reinforce the dog getting off the sofa then there is a risk that he will deliberately get on the sofa, in order to be reinforced for getting off again.

So I recommend that you use the other two approaches as often as you can.

If he gets on the sofa despite your best efforts you can either tell him to get off and reward him for doing so, or you can simply tell him NO and remove him promptly. It is probably best to remove him to avoid him deliberately climbing up to get the reward for getting off!

Don't forget you need little breaks from concentrating on him, or you will find it difficult to give him sufficient attention to prevent the behaviour you do not want, from getting established.

Hope that makes sense.
    Pippa

5. JezLincs

[quote author=editor link=topic=575.msg2593#msg2593 date=1340972768]
    You can use reinforcement in different ways for example

• [li]teach the dog to get off the sofa when he is already on there [/li]
      [li]to increase the likelihood that the dog will choose not to get on there (by reinforcing an alternative choice like keeping all four feet on the floor when he is next to the sofa) [/li]
      [li]to train obedience to a cue for an alternative behaviour such as 'leave that', or 'get in your bed' [/li]

Each of these is a valid use of reinforcement, none is wrong or right, and the clicker is simply a tool to help you do this.
    Which method you choose is up to you.

But, if you only reinforce the dog getting off the sofa then there is a risk that he will deliberately get on the sofa, in order to be reinforced for getting off again.

So I recommend that you use the other two approaches as often as you can.

If he gets on the sofa despite your best efforts you can either tell him to get off and reward him for doing so, or you can simply tell him NO and remove him promptly. It is probably best to remove him to avoid him deliberately climbing up to get the reward for getting off!

Don't forget you need little breaks from concentrating on him, or you will find it difficult to give him sufficient attention to prevent the behaviour you do not want, from getting established.

Hope that makes sense.
    Pippa
    [/quote]

Thanks again Pippa, i'm keen to understand and hopefully implement lots of things with George but i think he is at the stage of expecting the food.

After watching this video i think George is expecting the food rather than being conditioned to not go on the sofa, table etc.

It all suddenly seems quite tricky and complicated.

6. pippa@labforumHQ

Hi Jez

Counter-conditioning is used for treating fear and phobias, things that involve emotional arousal. I really don't see this video as being very relevant to what you are trying to achieve. Maybe you are overthinking this a bit :D

Try and keep it simple.

Mark what you want with the click, and follow it with a treat. Whenever possible teach your dog to 'do' something rather than 'not to do' something.

So to go on his bed whilst you are in the living room, rather than climb on the sofa. Reward him if he approaches the sofa and does not get on. Remove him from the sofa with a no reward marker if he gets on anyway.

Don't get caught up in trying to teach a dog 'not to do' things when you are not around.

If you follow these basic rules, you will be fine. Don't worry about the dog focusing on the food. This will go as you teach him tasks.

A good place to start with the clicker is to teach the dog to look at your face. Have the treats on a table so that he is focusing on you and not on the treats. Only click when he looks at you. Then pick a treat out of the bowl and throw it away from you. He doesn't get another treat until he has looked at your face again.

When he has learned to stare at you for several seconds to get his click and treat you can give it a name. I use 'watch me'

It is also well worth teaching a few 'tricks', because it gives you a much better understanding of the scope of the clicker and improves your own skill and timing.

Clicker training is as simple or as complicated as you make it. Not worth tying yourself in knots over! :D

Pippa

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We have been trying to use the clicker to get Lilly our 2 year old black lab to walk to heel (she's too interested in sniffing all the smells on a walk). She is quite happy for a minute or so to walk to heel, we C&T, then she goes back off to the verge for a sniff again. Basically, she's had her treat, so she's off! Any tips on what to do next, or are we doing something wrong?
    Jacqui&Sophie :-\

8. pippa@labforumHQ

Hi Jaqui, here are some articles that you may find helpful. The key to heelwork is thorough 'proofing'. This article has links to four stages of heel training.

This article is an off lead clicker approach, but in either case, proofing is essential. Let me know if you have more questions. :)

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Thanks! Had planned loads of training over the holidays (or at least Sophie has!) but the weather so far has been shocking. Will try working on this.
    Jacqui
    :)