Clingy six month old

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Pixie, May 10, 2023.

1. Pixie

Pixie Registered Users

I've got a super clingy six month old. I cannot fault him with anything else. I've struggled with crate training since the beginning. Tried everything he hates being alone and just wont use the crate. I've read instructions on crate training done them all he just doesn't like it . I want the crate not to lock him in but more of a place he will settle. He won't sleep on his own I don't want him upstairs on my bed. During the day he follows me everywhere. If I go upstairs he howls and barks he hates being alone. If I hoover up he's following me ,I get up to make tea he gets up etc. I would like some advice on how to get him to maybe go to a " bed" and to stop following 24/7 and just settle . I'm not being selfish it's just it would be nice to see him just sleep for a while plus hes constantly tripping me up and some tasks I do I don't want him involved . Any advice appreciated. Anyone had this issue and how did you solve.

2. Pixie

Pixie Registered Users

I'm bumping again in the hope of any advice on my super clingy dog.

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hello, one of the first things at obedience class they get to to teach your pup is how to be able to settle. It's a great aid to get your fog to relax and learn to be comfortable on their own. Its a staged approach using an identified area, bed for example, and a reward system in very small step for being able to go there and relax. Have a Google, there are lots of positive reward videos out there to help you get a good settle. You then should be able to add something like a stuffed kong to keep them occupied, and you can get on with things. It takes a while, but worth it. Good luck.