collar alert urgent!!!!

Discussion in 'Information and Announcements' started by ruth morris, Feb 14, 2018.

1. ruth morris

ruth morris Registered Users

peanut my 13 wk old pup has a soft nylon collar on in the house. NO MORE.!!! today while I was in the kitchen preparing her tea, she, leapt up in excitement and all of a sudden she screamed and yelled I turned to see her hanging on a handle of a cupboard door by her neck I had to lift her and quickley release the collar. I never thought that could happen,no more collars in house. please let everybody read this and prevent a disaster. ruth xx

Chaunceysmom and CMartin like this.
  2. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Thanks for the warning. I'm glad you were able to take swift action and Peanut is ok.

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

How absolutely terrifying for you! So relieved you were there to sort it out.

4. MF

MF Registered Users

Snowie doesn’t wear a collar at home - I think it’s more comfortable without, especially him not having to hear the jingle of his tag. But there’s no way he can escape our house and anyway he’s mostly inside. But I know someone whose dog jumped a high wall in a thunderstorm without his collar, and they never found him. So they stress the opposite: always wear a collar, including at home.

When Snowie was a puppy he got his jaw stuck in a pug’s collar while playing. The collar pulled against the pug’s nose and cut it, lots of blood, pug collapsed. Thankfully recovered well. But yes, there are many similar stories, here on the forum.

I’m pleased yours has a happy ending. It is frightening to think the worst.

5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Oh what a shock. Well done you for remaining calm enough to release Peanut's collar, I do hope she's not to distressed by her experience.

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

What a shock for both of you! I always take both dogs' collars off at home, and of course they don't wear collars while training. I hope Peanut is ok, and you too.

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh my goodness , poor little soul and you too, one reason none of mine have ever worn a collar indoors , so hope she is alright x

8. CMartin

CMartin Registered Users

Gosh, I had never heard of such a thing. Thanks for the warning.

9. ruth morris

all okay,but, my knees a bit wobbly. thankyou.ruthx

10. ruth morris

if you look at peanuts collar in the picture,the handle on the kitchen cupboard is vertical with a small amount protruding at the top,this somehow looped under her collar and. she must have twisted as well!! allok now thankyou ruthx

CMartin likes this.
  11. ruth morris

thankyou for your support,how very important is the no collar inthe house !!ruthx pean ut is fine still just as bouncy and soo adorable.xx

kateincornwall likes this.
  12. ruth morris

peanut is fine bounce bounce,my knees a bit wobbly,but, lesson learnt. thankyou ruthx

Karen likes this.
  13. ruth morris

thankyou for your.support peanut is fine still bouncing along.ruthx

14. ruth morris

thankyou for your support ruthx

MF likes this.
  15. ruth morris

peanut is fine,not much worries this little thing,she just trusts us to look after her.ruthx

Plum's mum and Granca like this.
  16. ruth morris

peanut is fine and thankyou for your support,what trouble can she find next!!! love her to bits ruthxx

MF and kateincornwall like this.
  17. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

So glad Peanut is ok, and that you were right there to help her. My sister's dog got her collar caught in the dishwasher, pulled the rack right out, a glass fell out and broke and the pup got a cut on her paw pad, thankfully not a bad cut.

ruth morris likes this.
  18. ruth morris

more reasons for no collars indoors,glad your sisters dog was ok ruth and peanut xx

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

How awful for you and little Peanut. I had a terrible collar experience a few years ago where Hattie and Charlie were playing, rolling around, Charlie got his teeth caught under Hattie's collar, he rolled and thrashed around slowly strangling Hattie who screamed which was awful. It took myself and David to free them from their tightening collars. If we hadn't been at home I am in no doubt they would both have died. We never have collars on them indoors ever since that day.

I read that a lot of puppies and dogs are hanged in their crates by their collars and it happens a lot more than you would think.

I wonder if this subject should be on some sort of alert/sticky on the forum for everyone to see as it's so important. Mods any thoughts? xx

Naya, Granca and selina27 like this.
  20. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

charlie likes this.