Coming away from an Exciting Person

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by charlie, Jan 25, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

My friend came round this afternoon to help with this exercise. Don't know if this is a problem but when she entered the room where was with Charlie, he is supposed to run to her but NO he sticks to me like glue as of course I have the tasty treats. There was no way his was going to budge so I told him to 'GO' which he did and got his fuss from her, then I blew my whistle and he came to me immediately, first time for chicken and then 9 times for kibble every single time 100% no hesitation. He would just not go to her every time she entered the room. He's not stupid!! ;) This happened on the first exercise to Coming away from a boring person.

Is this good enough to move on? Helen x

2. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

Re: Coming away from an Exciting Person

I know this is not meant this way but I love the thought of you choosing between your friends "now...you're the boring person and you're exciting"....hee hee

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

;D ;D ;D ;D Helen x

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Helen, would you say that Charlie's reaction is a reflection of how he feels about people? If he is one of those dogs that can take people or leave them, then it is probably fine to move on. If he is normally very keen on running up to people and even pestering them, then you may need to look at practicing other ways to call him away from people under controlled situations, before moving on. It is really a question of being objective and asking yourself, am I moving on because I have got this all wrapped up, or am I moving on because it is tricky/inconvenient to practice this one? :) :)

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Pippa,thanks, it's a tricky one because he can take or leave people outside but in true lab style when anyone arrives at our house he is all over them. But he knows when it's training and I have the treats so he won't leave my side. He does 100% return to my whistle I just have to send him verbally to the assistant. I can't see any other way of achieving the recall. I really don't want to move on it this is not an adequate way to deal with it. I promise I always work hard on each exercise as I showed in the One Man Garden Recall which took 6 weeks :eek: I want to get this right. What do you think? Helen x :)

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Helen

Sounds like you are probably ready to call Charlie away from someone with food now.

Pippa

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Pippa, thank you for answering my query. I will move on now in the knowledge that I have done the previous exercises correctly, even if he doesn't bomb over to greet my assistant in the first place as he should and has to be told to 'GO' before we can start!! ;) but he DOES recall to my whistle. Helen x :)