Concerned with excessive crating.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rue7514, Aug 31, 2014.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Concerned with excessive crating.

This can be a very contentious subject, and I know that a lot of forum members have very strong feelings on dogs being left home alone all day.

So I just wanted to say how nice it is that everyone is expressing their opinions honestly but without being judgmental or aggressive.
    And that no-one is being defensive or getting upset.

I have seen this subject turn into a horrendous battle ground on some forums :eek:

Great too, to see so many varied suggestions on different systems to make sure that pups aren't left too long.

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I have found neighbours with dogs to be a godsend - for instance, when OH is away and I am working, I walk Bella from down the road with Poppy at 7am, then either my cleaner lets her out in the garden or else she goes for a quick charge around the garden with the Labrador opposite at 11; then Bella's owner comes home at 3 and walks both dogs for an hour. I am home around 5:30. I don't pay anything for this, it's all on a 'you help me and I'll help you' basis. :)

3. Katie+Ollie

Katie+Ollie Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=7583.msg107000#msg107000 date=1409855808]
    I'm sure Rue7514 will make the best decisions for her pup - in the light of what help is available to her, her budget, and how her dog seems to be coping.
    [/quote]

Well said Julie :)

As previously mentioned this can be a very tricky subject to broach and try to focus on the positive comments. I've found that the negative ones tend to come from those who have no experience of being in the situation. My mum was very much of the negative view when it came to leaving a dog alone, she was lucky in that my retired grandmother looked after hers while she worked. We accepted her view but made our decision to get Ollie regardless. It's not easy and there was a lot of guilt in the beginning but we've made it work. I wouldn't say that my mum has eaten her words, but having seen what a happy dog Ollie is (she calls him "a joy") even she'll admit that it can be made to work with the right commitment. :)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I don't want to reopen contentious parts of the discussion but just to clarify - I meant that once a view has been expressed, it doesn't need to be repeated again and this way we avoid threads on this contentious issue turning into a fight. But in expressing a view that Rue7514 had heard the opinions, I wasn't supporting the position that a dog can be left home alone for a working day all the time.