Concerned!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Naya, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Over the last few weeks we have noticed that Harley really isn't herself. She's eating, drinking, weeing and pooing as normal. She seems really lethargic at home and rarely wants to play. Every now and then she will play, but it only lasts a few minutes. She still likes doing 'training' (finding treats / ball, sir, walk and quick tricks), but after literally 2 minutes will walk off and lie down. When we get home from work she's excited, but within 2 mins she lies down and doesn't want to play or be fussed. She still enjoys her walks, but isn't as energetic as previously. She's come to work on a Monday morning for the past 2 weeks to sort out the play equipment for the playschemes, and staff who have known her since she was a pup have commented that she's not as playful as before. She says hi to people, but then walks off and finds me.
    I don't know if it's because she's a bit older (turned 4 last week), or if there is something wrong. I'm going to take her to the vets, but they struggle to examine her because she will tense up.
    Any suggestions or thoughts?

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

May be just maturity but I think I would be off to the vet too. Unless she is just missing family members?
    Hope everything is OK.

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Naya I wonder if it is her age. Isn't Pongo behaving in the same way? If everything else is normal as in eating, drinking ect. I would think it's age, it comes to us all. I hope the vet visit sets your mind at rest and there isn't anything else going on. xxx

4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

This is EXACTLY how Pongo has been for the last couple of months, in fact since the hot weather. I thought it was the heat, but he didn't perk up once the weather cooled down. I was worried that he had something wrong with him, and I thought our long SW Pack walk would be a test for him but (as you know) that didn't seem to bother him at all. Unless he was just too obsessed with the beautiful Harley! And yet in the days that followed he was still really "flat" and subdued.

Yesterday for the first time he was running around as usual - not for hours, but just for a bit. I do wonder if he has been carrying a bit of a virus or something - not enough to be "ill" but just enough to make him a little low. We all know how that feels. Or maybe he is just growing up and deciding to be a sensible, mature adult (huh?).

Really hope the lovely Harley is OK. It does sound like she and Pongo are acting in quite a similar way, and they are roughly the same age, so maybe it really is just a growing up thing...?

5. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I hope she's ok. Molly's almost the same age and she's definitely more sensible than she used to be - I can leave shoes lying around with no risk of chewing and clothes on a clothes horse and know they won't go missing -but on the other hand she still really loves to play with me.
    Is Harley still as energetic on off lead walks?

6. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I think Pongo and Harley are like the Romeo and Juliet of the forum and they're moping because they can't be together :D

Hope they both perk up soon though x

Hollysdad and selina27 like this.
  7. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think I would have her checked over by your vet, maybe run a blood test. A four year old dog should be at the peak of vitality.

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Thanks all. I'm going to pop her to the vets anyway as am a bit concerned. She's still playing on off lead walks, but not as much as usual. My daughter came home this weekend as we thought maybe it could be because she hadn't been back for a while, but that didn't make much difference.

It does similar to what Pongo has been like!
    That's why I'm worried because she is a fit dog, does agility weekly and still enjoys it, but my trainer did comment that she wasn't jumping up with excitement like she usually does :(

9. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hope it is nothing, and just a bit of a down time for her. Sure she will be back to normal soon.
    We had this with Vanilla last year in January for a period, she was really down for a while. In the end it was an ear infection that no one had seen, no visable symptoms.
    My OH calls me 'helicopter dad', but I think we know when something is just not quite right.

selina27 likes this.
  10. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Oh do let us know how you get on at the vet. They are such a worry :(

11. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My Tatze isn't 'playful' any more either. She loves fuss and games and training, but Mollie always has to persuade her into playful mode. Tatze will run and run with Zaba and walk for miles, but I wouldn't describe her as playful any more. I definitely put it down to maturity.

She's four years old.

:)

12. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh I hope Harley is OK. Maybe she is just feeling a bit "off"...no harm in a visit to the vet.:hug:

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hope she's all right. I think calming down a little with maturity is normal, but this sounds like more than that. Maybe she and Pongo have both had the same virus...

14. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hoping Harley is alright , and Pongo too . Its always a worry when behaviour changes, fingers crossed for you both xx

15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Just back from the vets. She has got a temperature and they think she may have a virus. They have also taken bloods and results will be back tomorrow so will know more then. She didn't want to say hi to any of the nurses which is really unusual. They also commented on how lack lustre she was.
    Part of it may be that she is maturing, but I honestly don't think that is the case. She literally changed her behaviour overnight and doesn't really even want to run with her friends on walks. She does for a few mins, then comes back and walks beside me. She has always been playful, but seems to just want to sleep at the minute.
    Will update after the blood tests tomorrow.

16. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Ah, poor girl! Hope the bloods come back OK (or even better, come back with a nice straightforward explanation and an easy fix). Pongo sends loving licks as always.
    xxxx

Naya likes this.
  17. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Poor lass , I hope she feels better soon @Naya bless her, what a worry for you xxx

Naya likes this.
  18. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Hope they can get to the bottom of it soon. Poor girly

Naya likes this.
  19. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Poor girl. Good that the vets are investigating and hope for helpful results tomorrow.

20. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well spotted Naya.

Get well soon Harley xx