Confusion about walking on leash

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lozzz31, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Hi all,
    I'm really confused about Ziggy's walking. On the way to the park (which is literally 3 minutes from our house) he walks close very well on leash with lots of encouragement and praise and a few treats. He very rarely pulls. He has a great time at the park - playing with doggy friends and chasing his ball, and us! We pop his leash back on and then play some more so that there's no bad association with the leash going back on.
    It's totally different on the way home from the park though. The 3 minute walk home is a nightmare! He pulls all the way and no amount of stopping and waiting for a loose leash, or turning around and walking the other way, or luring, praising or treating will persuade him to stop pulling like a freight train! I know that he's still very, very young - 13 weeks - but I want to try to avoid getting into bad habits!
    Any advice gratefully received!

2. Labmama0701

Labmama0701 Registered Users

Does he get water before you set off back home?

Could you just sit calmly with him for another 3 minutes after getting his leash on? Maybe he's too ramped up and excited.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

He's keen to get home :)

Every time he pulls stop or turn tail and go the other way, he'll soon learn pulling doesn't work. Factor in plenty of time as, if you sometimes let him pull and other times don't, it won't work.

4. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

My first thought was he's thirsty as well.