Constant Biting and Scratching. Not fleas or mite problems

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Arun Natarajan, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Arun Natarajan

Arun Natarajan Registered Users

Hey Guys, Hope some remember me, it has been a while tho, i guess more than a month. My Lab has grown up now to 5 months almost. He weighs 36 lbs. But he still scratches and nibbles. Whenever someone is around , he only licks himself. But if left alone, he bites, scratches and hurts himself. Docs said Fleas problems first. So he was under meds for almost a months time. I then docs said it may be the food a problem. Changed kibble still he had problemd. A week before took him to another vet and got his skin scrapping test at the vet clinic! No mites problem. No fungus problem either. Both of these results came negative. Bacteria results came positive! He is on meds now again. Poor soul. He has become lethargic and sleeps much. Doc says that, that's due to meds! And it is gonna go on for a months time. He prefers sleeping on my bed or the sofa. Do I allow him to sleep in my bed? Have anyone come across bacteria problem with your lad and could share with some hacks which could help? My lad is not active as he used to be. He also rarely chews on things. I try to play with him around, but he is sluggish. To keep him active i take him out for a walk usually before bed! Don't get time any earlier! I love him very much and want him to have a good and healthy life! Sometimes I feel I am unlucky for him, may be he deserves someone better!

2. Lin

Lin Registered Users

Could it be some kind of allergy like hayfever? Finn had a similar problem last year and after all negative tests, the vet prescribed a human antihistamine (piriton) which seemed to solve the problem. We then bought a generic non drowsy brand from the chemist at 25 per cent of the price and used that for 6 months during the summer. Stopped it over winter and so far this year he hasn't scratched at all, fingers crossed!

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'd be thinking that it's a version of hayfever too (dogs don't tend to get the runny eyes etc that we get - they get itchy skin).

What is the medication that the vet has given you?

4. Arun Natarajan

Arun Natarajan Registered Users

Hi Guys, thanks for the updates. I got the test results hard copy today. It says, staphylococcus bacteria found over culture for 48 hours.

Now, it has been 14 days he has been under meds! The vet says, continue Cefpodoxime 100 mg 1.5 tablets twice daily for another fortnight along with Levocitrizine 1 tablet twice daily for a fortnight. Also some multi vitamin and calcium tablets goes in as supplement.

I am having my fingers crossed! Hope he get better and stops digging on him.

MF likes this.
  5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The bacteria might still just be a symptom, not the underlying cause. Bacteria get out of hand on the skin when there's something else that has challenged the system's ability to cope (like an allergy to food or pollen etc or an immune system issue). Did the vet mention anything like this?

Hope the antibiotics help him to fight off the infection.