Constant diarrhoea...

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by markclaxton, Sep 18, 2017.

1. markclaxton

markclaxton Registered Users

Hi! I have a 2-year-old male chocolate labrador who has had diarrhoea for a week, he's booked in to see the vet tonight but was wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms?

• He's on and off with his food, diet hasn't changed
    • He's been wretching every now and then
    • Last week he was sick a few times, looked like bile
    • There's a small marble sized lump above his left shoulder

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sorry , I cant help re the symptoms, but just wanted to wish good luck at the Vets tonight , sounds like the best move and I hope he will soon be better, let us know please .

3. markclaxton

Thanks. My mother-in-law thinks he might have swallowed a stone too big to pass.

4. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Hope all goes well tonight at the vet. The lump and the tummy issues are likely not related, fingers crossed.

My boy had tummy issues a lot during his life, what I found with him was modifying his diet (no grains or dairy), adding probiotics daily and keeping a natural stool firmer on hand for flare ups was helpful. Also no food at all for 24 hours after diarrhoea. And barring all that, if it went on longer than 2 days, I'd pop him to the vet who would give him the "magic posterior shot" which seemed to cure all ills. Or at least Brogan seemed to think it did, and that's what mattered. ;)

5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

My boy has Lymphangiectasia. It's similar to Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Unending diarrhoea is a symptom. A common thread in my Lym. FB group is these dogs have low albumin levels. If your Vet cannot find anything physical wrong insist on complete blood work. Likely there are other issues where diarrhoea presents too.

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  6. markclaxton

Vets have given Charlie some meds for the week, they think it's just a tummy bug but will do blood tests etc. if he doesn't get any better.

Snowshoe likes this.
  7. Berna

Berna Registered Users

What did they say about the lump? Could be an infection. What meds did they give him?

8. markclaxton

I've forgotten the name of the meds (I'm at work at the moment), the vet didn't say much about the lump. The meds are antibiotics that should also help with any inflammation.

I will find out the name when I get home from work.