Controlling my Lab at the seashore

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Mary Catherine Clarke, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Mary Catherine Clarke

Mary Catherine Clarke Registered Users

Hello, My spayed female Lab, Rosie, is 4 years old. In about a month we are going to the beach with my sister and her Golden Retriever. The trip is a Golden Retriever event and about 200 dogs and owners are expected. My concern is this: Rosie is fearless and loves to swim. At the neighborhood pool she breaks free of me and her leash, jumps in and swims at the deep end. She wears a life jacket because I have seen her get tired after awhile on our way back to shallow. How can I keep my dog on a long leash, allow her to enjoy the surf and the other dogs but still keep her from swimming away? All thoughts are appreciated.

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Mary Catherine Clarke

welcome to the site.

You're not going to like my answer. Or maybe you need a second opinion for something that has already crossed your mind.

I wouldn't take her.

You can't control her near a swimming pool. Two hundred other dogs at a beach all running around. Wow the amount of temptation will be enormous. What recall will you have?

I would not let my dog go in water wearing a long line. If she gets snagged on something, then she'll will not be able to free herself.

But without a long line you don't have any ability to prevent her from doing something silly--such as trying to swim to England!

With just one month before the trip that is insufficient time to train the dog.

Sorry to be a party spoiler.

PS. How does she manage to break free at the swimming pool? What type of lead and harness are you using?

3. Mary Catherine Clarke

Thank you

4. Mary Catherine Clarke

Thank you for your thoughtful response, and yes I was thinking about leaving her with friends at home. At the pool, she is so eager and strong, she just pulls the leash out of my hands and jumps into the pool. Where water is not involved she is good with her recall, reliable. At the pool, not so much she may or may not come right away when called. We have use a collar and leash but lately looking into a harness. Any suggestions? I will search other threads for that info.
    THANKS again for your answer,

5. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Mary Catherine Clarke

To prevent the lead from being pulled out of your hand, place the loop (your handle) over your right thumb, have the lead running along your palm, then close your fingers around the lead to create a fist. Make sure the loop sits close to your thumb. Donr correctly, there is no possibility of the lead being pulled through your hand.

If necessary with the other part of the lead do the looping procedure over your left thumb, creating a second fist.

Bend at the knees one foot in front and the other foot at an 80 degree angle. Place your weight over your behind.

6. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

So: The good news is that you've found something which really motivates your dog. I would start to use the water as a reinforcer. For example: Sit>Click>Go Swim (which can become Sit>Go Swim as the marker). And so on - I'd suggest training by the pool side on leash and using food for the majority of your training session and when you get something you really like or want to jackpot, give your 'Go Swim' cue.

There is no better way to get something under control than to put it on cue. And that goes for a dog's access to reinforcers too.