Cooper's criss cross walking

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Teena Ann, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Teena Ann

Teena Ann Registered Users

Hello everyone its with great concern im starting this topic which may be useful for everyone including members who have got a new puppy at home.Of late during the training i noticed cooper's hind legs and to my surprise found out that he was walking criss cross i don knw how he learnt to walk lyk tat and was so worried until the trainer told me cooper may have some problems with his hips which made me go into a trance for a second he also tld me it may lead to complications further if i don take him to d vet.Of late i have been having problems wih cooper taking his food and now it has doubled even more wen i heard this im absolutely clueless as to wat do now and would like to get suggestions from everybody on the forum here... have anybody gone thru this stage of problems or is it oly me having one... i think it could be hip dysplasia but not sure unless i get him checked please help its urgent and im worried :( :( :( :'(

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Cooper's criss cross walking

Teena Ann , first thing, try not to panic , I can tell how worried you are but try not to get too distressed . If your trainer thinks that his gait ( the way he walks ) is not looking right, then definately you must see your Vet as soon as you can . It isnt always bad news Teena Ann but if there was a problem, then it must be sorted out , I wish that I could offer more help but a Vet is the best person for this . Please let us know how Cooper is , we all wish him and you well xx

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I agree with Kate, Teena - don't panic!
    Ask the vet if you are worried.
    Lilly's hip dysplasia started with a limp which was worse after she was doing too much. It's difficult to know what you mean by a criss cross walk without seeing it, but the vet will know if there is a problem and will be the one to advise you what to do about it.
    Fingers crossed its nothing to worry about. x

4. Teena Ann

Hey all,
    Cooper is a very scared and nervous dog whenever i take him walks he is on the lead nd pulls ocassionally im jus teaching him to walk on heel wid me wid the help of a trainer he tld me tat Cooper is scared nd runs to him whenever a vehicle passes by or jus turns his head back to see if something is coming everytym nd througout the walk is this a cause to wry bcoz i heard tat scared dogs bite nd may get aggressive and secondly he neva pees or poops outside wen walkin him im so troubled abt this pls help me... :( :( :( :( don knw hw to make him do his business outside any suggestions will help

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie didn't poo or pee on the lead for quite a while. It can be a big advantage if they never learn - you can have them pee or poo before you go, clear it up and put it in your own trash, then go for a walk without them stopping to pee and poo all the time.

If he is scared of things, try getting him used to whatever he is scared of slowly, and lots of treats for a calm reaction. So just sit down where there is not too much traffic, and not too close, then reward calm reactions. Then move a bit closer, or stay far away but a bit more traffic etc.

6. Teena Ann

Hello everyone
    Fearing tat Cooper may have hip dysplasia and given tat my vet tld me tat 70% he is sure abt it I tuk him to d hospital yesterday not knowing wat was happening around him Cooper was enjoying d view of d world while traveling in d car it was apparent tat he became nervous once d car reached d h hospital nd refused to get out but I reluctantly tuk him out of the car nd we slowly made our way to d reception we were anxiously waiting for our turn nd I panicked once we were called I prayed nd hoped tat Cooper should be normal nd d vet assured me it will be Fyn ndated to feel Cooper's hind legs nd this went on for a few minutes nd then d doc tld me he may have hip :'( problem I was shattered but I regrouped nd was tld to take an xray nd then he was given a medicated bath he was also suffering frm a minor skin infection which they tld can be treated so I bought d medicines nd left d hospital d result of d xray will be coming tdy nd I'm hoping nd praying it's gonna be normal feeling down nd worried :'(

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sending you hugs and positive wishes from us, I hope it works out ok, keep us posted.

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Gosh Teena sorry to hear that. Both Lilly's hips have very bad dysplasia. She just has tablets at the moment but some dogs need surgery right away.
    I hope Cooper is ok.
    xx

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hope it's all ok, Teena. I'm sure it's really stressful, waiting for the result. I hope it's positive.

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah Teena Ann I wasn't expecting that at all...gosh so much worrying news at the moment,hope everything is ok ,please let us know when you get the x ray result x

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

How very worrying for you Teena, fingers crossed the X-rays come back ok for cooper. :(

12. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hoping all will be well for Cooper , what a worry for you :(

13. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh dear, so sorry to hear this! Hope it's not as bad as you fear, and you get the results soon. Let us know what the x rays show, praying for good news here.

14. Teena Ann

It's official now Cooper has dysplasia in his right leg :'( nd I'm yet to recover from tat shock since he is too young nd d way I take care of him I neva expected such a news at this stage of his lyf though he doesn't require surgery he is on medication which I hope will help and as fofr him he doesn't knw tat he is having hip problem nd is very active he has become a but picky in eating nd doesn't wat his kibble I don knw hw to make him to eat his kibble pls help me or give me suggestions as to wat toppings can I add over it to make it interesting

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I am sorry Teena. Ann, I don't have any advice to offer I'm afraid.
    I guess that the fact it has been found early is a good thing,you can do everything you can now to keep him well and pain free,I know there are other dogs on here that live with HD
    Do you think he would eat his kibble with a little bit of water on it?that make it more palatable to him,might be worth a try.theres lots of things you could add to his food that are ok for Labradors to eat but my concern would be that you make him even more fussy in that he would just eat the tasty treats and leave his meal....
    I'm sorry,I've not ever had this problem as Dexter is a typical Labrador that just inhales his food in 30 seconds....

16. Teena Ann

He was so greedy for food wen he was young jus gobbles abt anything but now he wants oly meat nd eggs Ges tat is more satisfying for him not tat he ain't hungry he is nd jus holding out for tasty meal I top his kibble wid scrambled eggs no oil or salt nd he seems to love it i's these medicatiowns tat I'm worried abt can anyone give me any food recipe tat u feed ur dogs I'll give it a try for Cooper I don want him become even more sick

17. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi teena ann

I'm sorry to read about coopers hip but at least you one know what it is and he can get treatment.

My old Labrador was a very fussy eater. He used to gobble up his food when he was a pup but by about the age of one he got fussy and wouldn't eat kibble unless I put something on it like chicken. He developed colitis which ment he got upset stomach very easily. The vet suggested a kibble that was fish and rice. He loved it.after that I always fed him kibble that was made with fish and I didn't need to add anything to it he just ate it.

Perhaps cooper would like something like that if you can get hold of it. A kibble made with salmon would also be good for his skin.

Good luck and I hope cooper will be alright

Jen

18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Perhaps you have given him more food than he needs and so is full up and can afford to be fussy? I would cut his food down until he is hungry and then gradually put it up again, but always look at his shape and feed to that, if too thin, more food, if getting plump, less food.

I would give him a good kibble with perhaps some tinned meat on the top or a bit of chicken or scrambled egg. I know it isn't needed but I always do that for my dogs, probably more for me than them ;D You could consider feeding a raw diet, but that needs to be well balanced.

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

What a horrid shock for you Teena, but at least with medication Cooper should be ok, I hope. Regarding his food - since he does have this joint problem, it will be far, far better for him to be slim. Every added pound will mean more for his joint to support, so don't worry too much about him not eating his kibble - I guarantee you he will NOT starve himself! But if you want to give him a treat, which will be good for his joints as well, you can give him a can of sardines every now and then, including the oil. Also very good for his coat!

20. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sorry to hear that Cooper has had this diagnosis, Teena. If the vets says that it can be managed with medication that's a good thing - it does not sound like an extremely serious case. What kind of medication has the vet prescribed for Cooper?