Coping with sudden pulling on lead and jumping up

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Nichola, May 19, 2017.

1. Nichola

Nichola Registered Users

Hi Everyone
    Fred (nearly 9 months old) and I have just returned from a walk. In general he is doing well with his loose lead walking and we are slowly getting there. My lack of experience is making the process longer than I am sure it would otherwise be!

My problem is he can be walking nicely along and then suddenly be distracted by something usually a smell and suddenly lunge towards it. I try not to let him pull me along but he is so strong now I usually get dragged along and just have to concentrate on staying upright.

This caused a problem today when we were coming down a passage way with Fred walking nicely along I was clicking and treating quite regularly. As we came to the end of the passage way he suddenly pulled forward dragging me around the corner and jumped up a poor lady who was just walking along. He obviously knew she was there. I was mortified and apologised to her. She was very good about it but obviously it is not acceptable behaviour.

So we have 2 issues here the sudden pulling on the lead and the jumping up as a greeting. All thoughts and advice gratefully accepted

2. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

At this age it's all about continuing the training, as you did when he was a puppy but it's harder because he's bigger and stronger. Keep up the clicker training. Try as much as you can to anticipate any distractions and keep his focus back on you.

It may mean some very boring walks where you don't get very far, then if possible drive him round to a park where he can let off steam off lead.

In humans teenagers brains 'rewire' themselves, I'm sure the same happens to dogs especially Labradors.

3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Perhaps consider a harness? I didn't think I wanted one but my puppy was big for her age and when a bit younger than Fred I had similar issues. I attended a force free training class around that time and got the harness I have from the woman who ran the classes. It doesn't stop the behaviour but it made the lunging easier to deal with because on the harness I have they don't pull against you but have to steady themselves. I use it when I'm sure will be meeting people. Like you and Fred loose lead walking is not bad otherwise:)

Jes72 likes this.
  4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Do you go to a training class? If not, one doing the KC Good Citizen scheme might be helpful, in that you can practise being calm when near people and dogs, with people who aren't going to get upset if they accidentally get jumped at and who will help by turning away and ignoring your dog.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think this is a logical thing to happen with a young, male Labrador (I'm sure it happens with the girls too, but I can see it's more likely with the boys).

Around 6 months + Charlie got stronger and stronger. I think he learned that if he did a sudden lunge, he had a fair chance of pulling a human off balance and getting to whatever it was that he wanted. Betsy just isn't strong enough to do this to the same degree as Charlie.

I spent a LONG time walking down the middle of roads. Negotiating a lamppost took some thought...I think you've just got to plan for it, really, and avoid giving them any opportunity.

That might just involve avoiding corners for a while! :D

Stacia likes this.
  6. Nichola

Nichola Registered Users

Thank you for your replies. We do go to training class every week so he is getting practice at being around other dogs and still focusing on me although he does find it difficult.

I will look into getting him a harness. Would a harness be better than a halti do you think?

7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

A harness is great - it will help spread the load when he pulls so as not to injure his neck. Look for a back fastening harness. I'm afraid it won't prevent pulling, for this you need to train, train and train. It's hard work once your dog is in the habit of lunging and pulling.

At last, Coco is beginning to walk very nicely - lots and lots of training. And work at dog school around other dogs. Time was, he'd pull me over lunging after something :(

A Halti is a management tool, but won't help you train loose lead walking.

8. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

For narrow spaces or going down steps, I use a "behind" cue for Lucky.

I have him target my hand held just behind me. This might help for getting round corners!

It's helpful in some situations because your body acts as a barrier to lunging forwards, and targeting a hand gives them something to focus on.

20180815 likes this.