Corona/bladder infection, still waking at night...will things EVER improve??

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jeanine, Jan 10, 2017.

1. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

I honestly felt like a turning point was coming. We are staying strong and still not allowing Corona on the bed on night 3. She was getting a bit better every night. Tried to jump up a few times still, resorted to whining for the last hour before alarm but we stood strong. But now she has a UTI, with bacteria and crystals, and elevated red blood cells. Her PH is very high at 8. This is her 9th infection since we've had her, on top of numerous tummy issues and a bout with eating toxic berries/ pillow on the same day. It's no wonder at 5 1/2 months, she's NEVER slept thru the night. EVER. She's on another round of antibiotics and a probiotic to protect her tummy. The vet suggested that it could be the switch of food. If you remember, Corona has been on prescription diet food since October. Every time we attempt to change her to a regular food, something happens or it doesn't agree with her and she goes back to the GI food. This time though, at 75% new food, 25% GI, things were going well, until now. It's been about 10 days. The last week, we've noticed that Corona is wanting out to pee very often but we were thinking she just wanted to mess around outside. Especially since she does hold it at night for about 7 hours. I knew something was off last evening since she was acting strangely. Poor baby, she keeps licking and sitting funny with a worried look on her face. I will now assume every whimper throughout the night could mean she needs a run to the bathroom. This is what got me in trouble months ago. How am I to know?

2. Chococheer

Chococheer Registered Users

I've read several of your posts in regard to your troubles with Corona - I have no advice, but you have my sympathy. I don't know how you do it - I'd be curled in the foetal position rocking in the corner by a couple of months ago. I sincerely hope her health improves dramatically very soon for you and your family.

jeanine likes this.
  3. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

So sorry for your and Corona that she is having so many problems, one on top of another. Poor puppy. Poor you. :(

You may have already tried it, and in any case it wouldn't be a magic fix, but since so many of her issues seem tummy related, have you tried fresh home made food instead of kibble? At least you could control everything that went in to it and sort of try a process of elimination of what works for her and what doesn't. I've had a look at some of what is sold as high quality GI kibble/prescription diet and the ingredients in most seemed shockingly poor and un-tummy friendly. Also something you may have already tried, but what about another vet? A different opinion can be really enlightening. Sometimes giving strong medication is the right thing, but long term it can have serious side effects which need to be treated and it just turns into a never-ending cycle - which kind of sounds like what you are in.

Again, you may have already tried ALL of this - and want to tell me to go jump off a bridge somewhere - and I'd totally understand. The sleep deficit alone would make the strongest person want to sit in a corner and bang her head against a wall. So whatever course you take, I hope things get better very soon and you and Corona can really start enjoying life together.

Cath likes this.
  4. MF

MF Registered Users

I'm so sorry to hear this. I guess some dogs are lucky with very strong immune systems and others are not.

With your pup having so many tummy upsets and infections, could you not seek out a holistic vet who can look at the whole picture, taking her immune system into consideration, and helping you with bolstering her immunity?

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  5. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

Trust me, I've done my fair share of crying, I was devastated when the vet called me about this infection. I had convinced myself that things were going well with her health, that it couldn't be another infection. I've thought several times of how to get out of this mess we are in with Corona. I feel sometimes it's affecting my bonding with her. If she would just sleep thru the night, all of it would be easier to handle.

6. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Do you not have anyone who could have her overnight for you so you could have a good nights sleep?

It must be so hard for you all.

MF likes this.
  7. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

I am so sorry you are going through this, I know it must be so hard for you, and especially with the slepe, Maybe corona is feeling the strain too, frightened and unknowing about her own health. Poor thing and poor you!!

I am sending lots of love and warm wishes to you and your girl

8. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

My only option would be to board her overnight at a boarding facility nearby that I've used in the past for my other dogs. While we eventually plan on using this option, we haven't yet. Corona does go to daycare at my vet's office once, sometimes twice a week so that I can get caught up on work. She loves it and comes home pooped. My husband suggested in his desperation that we board her for a week and maybe she will come home and sleep thru the night. Lol.

9. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Oh no I am so sorry to hear this, poor you and poor Corona. If I lived near you I would take her overnight for you, but I know you are nowhere near. It must seem like a never ending circle for you. No advice but a shoulder and an ear if you need it. Stay strong and Bailey sends licks to Corona x

jeanine likes this.
  10. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

@jeanine where are you in ON? I would be more than happy to take Corona for a weekend - we are in the GTA. Quinn is well used to having dog visitors (and we love lab friends - even ones who don't sleep :))

Jyssica likes this.
  11. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

Oh Jeanine, I am so sorry to hear this, you have had such such bad luck with your girl and I can only imagine how stressful it is for you. I think you're amazing for keeping on keeping on. I have no wise words, just bucketfuls of sympathy.

jeanine likes this.
  12. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Where are you? If you're in the north of the UK I'd be more than happy to take her for a night :)

Cath likes this.
  13. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

You are too kind for the offer but we are in the Windsor, Ontario area. A little far. I am gonna keep on pushing thru. Considering her UTI, she slept from 10pm until almost 5 before she tried jumping up on the bed, which isnt totally horrid. I brought her out, she peed and pooped and went back to her pillow. She remained quiet until 5:30 and just as I was falling back asleep, she attempted the get up every 20 minutes or so, until about 6:25. We ignored the whining completely. Then she fell asleep until my alarm went off at 6:45! I am determined that if we keep doing this, she will wait for the alarm eventually. There is some VERY minor improvements every night so far, so while I'm still exhausted, I'm hopeful at least. :)

Naya, Kelsey&Axel, Jyssica and 3 others like this.
  14. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

Thanks anyway, you are so kind to offer, but we are in Ontario, Canada. If I'm ever out that way, we will be sure to look you up!

Jyssica likes this.
  15. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Ah, that is not close at all! Her sleeping sounds like it is improving though!

16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Poor girl :(. I totally sympathise with you. As for her tummy, we had problems for over 7 months when we got Harley. I ended going down the route of a BARF diet and it was the turning point for us. It is worth considering if you could use something similar?
    I hope her UTI clears up soon and you continue to get a bit more sleep every night x

17. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

Thanks for the advice. The vet wants me not to change anything at the moment. The vet isn't entirely convinced that the food is the cause of this issue. She wants Corona to finish the round of antibiotics and do a recheck of the urine once completed. If the Urine is clear from bacteria and WBC's and the PH is still high, then we will entertain that idea. The technician that I spoke with the other day made it sound like the food was surely the cause. So we wait, for now. Corona had an even better night last night. Slept until 5, out for pee and poop, then went back to sleep on her pillow until 6:15. Jumped up once at 6:15 and once at 6:30 then fell asleep again until my alarm at 6:45! So, only 3 times! We are skeptically hopeful!

18. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Most vets do not really deal with questions of nutrition except for to recommend a kibble that they often sell themselves. They may be marvellous as vets, but just don't tick the boxes on the subject of nutrition. I'm not saying all vets are like this, but certainly of the ones I have known, 90% are like this. In the US at least it used to be (maybe still is) that vets only received several days out of their very long education addressing nutrition, and then the study material was usually sponsored by a manufacturer such as Science Diet. Combine that with the high margins that they make on selling manufactured dog foods...well, you get what I'm saying. You may still decide that for you, manufactured food is best, but like you say, entertaining the idea of changing her food at some point sounds like a good plan.

MF likes this.