Could this be a Major Breakthrough?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by charlie, Nov 10, 2017.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I am frightened to even talk about this incase I jinx it. I have been working hard and for a long time on 'find it' which is motivating for Charlie, never thought I would EVER be able to use that word :rolleyes: We have been only training this in our garden which is so successful as he will leave whatever he is doing to hunt out the treats whenever I call 'find it' :)

My youngest Son, Thomas (almost 18 years) took Charlie out for a walk on Wednesday and this afternoon so I asked him to give it a go with 'find it' to which Charlie responded, bombed back to hunt out the
    treats :):):):):):)

Anyone who knows Charlie on this forum knows that it has been a major struggle to find anything to motivate him, balls, toys, food, his family. So could this be the breakthrough we have been waiting over
    6 years for?

Now, I don't want to blow this so any advice on how not too or to slowly advance with it would be greatly appreciated.

I feel like :celebrate: xxx

2. blackandwhitedog

blackandwhitedog Registered Users

that's great! "Find it" was hugely successful for us in improving engagement on walks too, though in much less challenging circs. I guess scenty dogs like to be rewarded for sniffing!

Do you do set-ups, where you put treats somewhere ahead of time (e.g. the sausage tree) and then surprise Charlie on a walk with your amazing treat-finding skills?

charlie, ruth morris and selina27 like this.
  3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

What a legend! Well done Charlie - well done Helen. I play "find it" with Coco when I'm out - in an effort to keep him engaged, and it IS working. It feels so good when you suddenly realise you've made some progress - and yes, you have made amazing progress with Charlie.

charlie, ruth morris and selina27 like this.
  4. MF

MF Registered Users

When Snowie ate kibble, I mostly fed him this way: placed the kibble around the kitchen and played Find It. Good way to mentally tire and calm a puppy.

I use this game now to calm him down at night when he’s fidgety and won’t go to sleep. I take his ball, make him wait in another room, hide the ball, and then call him to Find It. A few goes at this followed by a few bounces of the ball against the door, where Snowie catches the rebounding ball, and he’s happy to settle down on his bed.

charlie and selina27 like this.
  5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

So great to hear about Charlie and his progress Helen :). You have done WONDERS with that dog! Xxx

charlie and ruth morris like this.
  6. T Reischl

T Reischl Registered Users

Tell Charlie Congrats!!!!! (congrats to you too!)

charlie and ruth morris like this.
  7. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

Great news! I hope this is a breakthrough for you! Reading your stories about Charlie has helped me so much, and made me feel less alone with my runaway rescue boy.

Here's what I've found works with Lucky, so I hope this gives you some ideas.

I play this three different ways, two use cues and one is silent.

1. I hide food in trees or on the ground, bend over and say "Oh WOW, what's this?" and he comes running. I point a little bit away from the food now he understands the cue, which means he has to do some hunting.

2. Ask him to stay, hide food, and release him to search for it - 'find it'. The further away from him I hide the food the more excited he gets. If you want to build excitement, I would ask someone to hold Charlie, or tie him to something if it's safe, while you hide the treats, and not ask for a sit or stay. If someone holds him, they can try to rile him up and get him pulling forward a bit while they hold him.

3. Without saying anything, I walk off the path, bend down and hide the food. To start with, I would stay bent down looking at the food, eventually Lucky got curious and came to see what I was up to - it took a bit of patience to begin with - but I wouldn't say anything and would just wait for him to come and investigate. Now, he's usually quick at noticing I've left the path and comes to see if I've found something.

For all of these, I vary how many treats I hide and how close together they are. Sometimes it's just one treat, sometimes a whole handful in one place, or several treats hidden in different places. I think this helps because it's always a surprise - and he loves it when he finds a whole handful of treats!

Kelsey&Axel, MF, charlie and 3 others like this.
  8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Don't know about that Karen, we have had him for 6 years :eek::D but I thank you xxx :)

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

:celebrate: :dancesheep:

charlie likes this.
  10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

lucky_dog likes this.
  11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

That looks really good. I expect Charlie would love something like that.

12. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

14. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco & me did a new walk this afternoon, I really struggled to keep him engaged. The only thing that really got his attention was "find it" - it's a powerful game.

selina27 and charlie like this.
  15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It MUST be if Charlie can engage :eek: x

David is in the US for 10 days so Thomas has been helping me with Charlie walks and he has played "find it" every day which Thomas also enjoys and he confirms it's still WORKING. I'm so over the moon I can't find words to describe it :) x

Karen, Jazzmynn, Beanwood and 7 others like this.
  16. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I was going to suggest the lotus ball, too :)

I've been playing hunting with my lot recently; I have a corner of a field that has very long grass, so I throw a few balls, dummies and things into it over their heads while they sit facing me then blow my hunt whistle. They love it. Shadow, who isn't the world's most confident hunter, is now finding the game itself super rewarding. After delivering an article, he sits quivering waiting for me to blow the whistle again!
    I'd imagine for the pointer pants, it'd be hugely exciting!

Karen likes this.
  17. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I have a couple of PawsPockets (like lotus balls) and Coco loves them (in the house) - he pesters for them - best way to use them outside ?

18. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I would find a small corner of longish grass, put him in a sit/stay while you go hide it in there, then release him to go find it. If you have more than one, you can hide them all :)

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

What size lotus ball do you all use please? thanks xx

20. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

Find it has been my savour as well. Duggan is a very energetic 18 month old who just underwent TPLO surgery. He’s severely restricted in activity and was getting very frustrated so I needed something. He’s always been nosey so I think Snowbunny recommended “find it” . He’s a natural. Took straight to it. After a week we are already at finding non food items in other rooms of the house. Can’t wait till his restriction is lifted so I can try to drag a scent across the garden for him to find.