Could this be a Major Breakthrough?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by charlie, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

It really is. We have a similar version, only I call it the "lost" game. Super high-value treats scattered on the ground, then I call lost! Casper comes racing over, and he LOVES this game :) If I have Bramble with me as well, I use a quiet hunt whistle while they are searching for treats. Casper is starting to pair the hunt whistle with "hunt where I am now there might be a treat" This has proved handy when he is has got stuck in a "what the sausage is that in the distance??" :D

charlie likes this.
  2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco will also search on a whistle. Sometimes we skip along the road, I toss some treats into the grass (unseen), I blow a "stop", I dance backwards and blow a "come" then I blow a "find it". All on lead, it's a big game and Coco loves it, it helps keep him walking nicely too.

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Now that sounds like something useful for Charlie :D I could build up to this now Charlie is having so much fun with 'find it' on his WALKS, I still have to pinch myself when I say that :D:D I read about the hunt whistle but what sequence of pips is it? o_O xx

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I use a "twit-twoo" sound. Most people seem to do similar, although everyone also seems to put their own little twist on it. Maybe it depends on the variety of owls where people live :D

charlie likes this.
  5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

:D:D Too many Owls round here! x

6. Beanwood

I use two soft and long peeep,peeeeep. You can also just whistle softly when you are stood by your dog.

A really fun training exercise is hide some high-value treats in long grass, big enough to find, but so they can't find them easily. Stuffing a toilet roll is a good idea. Make sure your dog doesn't see you hide the treats. Then line your dog sitting in front of you, about 5 feet away, the treats should be about 2 feet away from your dog to start off with. You can increase the criteria later, by adding distance or a target stick. Anyhow at this then use you hunt whistle, at the same time place your arm out in a downward fashion. This is saying "hunt here". The aim of the exercise is twofold..to pair the hunt whistle with hunting where you want, and so the dog trusts you that there is something good to hunt for. You can then move on to hiding the tiny scented dummies, or anything really! :)

charlie likes this.
  7. Beanwood

@charlie this is a pointer at work, using the hunt whistle. This exercise is one dummy is blind (the first send out) there is shot and a dummy thrown. The dog is sent out to the blind first, then to the seen dummy with shot second. The dog is sent out, then the hunt whistle is used to tell the dog...hang on, hunt THERE!

charlie likes this.
  8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

What kind of dog is that? Is it a rough-haired visla? I train with one, sometimes.

9. Beanwood

Yes, it's Logan a wire haired Hungarian visla :) I was training with her and another black lab Berlioz at the weekend :)

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I am a little worried about my 'peeps' as I use two peeps for recall so it might sound similar? Oh the worry :eek:

Kate @Beanwood thank you for the fun hunting exercises I will give them a go in the garden to see how Charlie gets on.

That video is amazing and LOVING the Vizsla, although I do love a shorthaired variety :) How old is he? x

11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I'm using peep-peeeeeeeeeeeep for "find it" (softly as he's close by). PEEEEeeeeep for "stop" and "PEEP PEEP PEEP" for recall. Just make up your own, Helen. It doesn't matter a jot if you're not going shooting. It's great fun.

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

But I am! NOT really hahaha :D

You're right Sue, I use 'peeeeeeeep for 'stop', peep, peep for 'recall' so a peep-peeeeeeeeeeeeep for 'find it' should be distinguishable enough for Charlie's pea brain :rolleyes::D Thank you x

13. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Well done with Charlie on getting him to 'find it'.
    I am sure he is offended now though being called pea brain, he is going to show you that this is not the case :D

charlie and selina27 like this.
  14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Just thought I would share a wonderful walk with you all. David took Charlie to the woods this morning armed with great treats where he played 'sausage tree' and 'find it' with Charlie. Charlie was about
    50 yards from David which isn't unusual for him, David shouts "find it" when storming through the woods comes an extremely excited wide eyed Charlie to train :celebrate: This is massive progress for us as there were a lot of deer around this morning. David was thrilled at how focused Charlie was with this training so did 5 rounds and he responded every time with great enthusiasm. Charlie has a lotus ball for his birthday today which will be filled with great treats to add an extra element of searching in more difficult places in the woods.

I can't even express what this means to us after such a very long time of trying to train focus. Better late than never Charlie! :rolleyes::D:celebrate: xx

snowbunny, Cath, Sven and 3 others like this.
  15. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

:dancesheep:

charlie likes this.
  16. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Terrific news, so rewarding for you all. It's so wonderful when they get excited about doing things with you. Your commitment is really paying off isn't it?

charlie likes this.
  17. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Brilliant! Well done to all of you and happy birthday Charlie.

charlie likes this.
  18. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Wonderful :).

charlie likes this.
  19. AngelConradie

AngelConradie Registered Users

Thats awesome! Well done!

charlie likes this.
  20. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Well done to you all.