Crate location

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by zanacal, Feb 3, 2015.

1. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

Re: Crate location

Boogie, how long will you keep using the pen? I guess after a while that they could jump out if they really wanted to?!

2. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

Also what size do you have? It looks like it would fit nicely in our kitchen :)

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=zanacal link=topic=9768.msg144142#msg144142 date=1424178135]
    Boogie, how long will you keep using the pen? I guess after a while that they could jump out if they really wanted to?!
    [/quote]

Gypsy was out of the pen entirely at 5 months. But she is a Guide Dog pup and they have to be de-crated asap anyway :)

This is it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ellie-Bo-Modular-Exercise-Whelping-Pieces/dp/B009NEPQM6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1424180440&sr=8-7&keywords=ellie-bo

We have one outside as a fence for her spending area - something I would definitely have if I had a pet pup again. It saves time and grass!

[​IMG]

4. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

Thank you. I hadn't really considered having a pen instead of a crate but I'm definitely going to give it some serious thought! I guess if it was as high as a dog gate jumping out wouldn't be an issue either.

5. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Just to throw a spanner in the works... My Penny could easily jump over that pen. She figured out how to jump over the babygate in no time so we had to get a special pet gate that was taller, she would have no issues jumping over the pen and she's not even a big Labrador.

6. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

Lol, I guess it depends on the dog! Our German Shepherds never even attempted to jump over the stair gate so we were probably lucky :) We were thinking of getting a pen for the garden (we will likely eventually section off an area of the garden properly but we thought we'd get a pen in the first instance until we know how that will work best). I think I will order a crate and a pen and see how it works out in the kitchen. The pen would probably give pup more room than the utility room when I need her to be confined and I feel like she'd be less out of the way, but out of the way enough that it's not too hectic. If we didn't have such an open plan kitchen I'd just go for crate and dog gate across the door way (in fact, there's one there already!) but I feel like the room's too big for a pup to get used to initially so the pen would be her room in effect. If the pen doesn't work out we can reassess and it can go outside to section off a toilet area - if it does work we may need to buy a second for that purpose! Does that seem reasonable?

7. Boogie

Yes, very reasonable :)

They are all different anyway and you will find things work for your pupster which may not for others.

But it's a good idea to have the same toilet area from day 1. With Gypsy, she gets to play in the garden after going to the toilet, and it was like this from the beginning. Otherwise, they may get to prefer weeing on grass and re-training to go on other surfaces, 'tho do-able, would be much harder.

8. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

Thanks Boogie :) I was thinking I could possibly even use it to section off the kitchen too as they're modular. Open plan seemed like such a good idea at the time ;-) I think I'll order one and have a play! We have some bits in the garden we can use to section off a toilet area temporarily until we know whether we'll make use of the pen indoors or not.

9. Fae_Wolf

Fae_Wolf Registered Users

Hi All, I am new to the forum.

I pick my labrador puppy up in 2.5 weeks (I cannot wait :) )

However, I must be totally mad (nearly said barking mad :D ) as I have a crate to go in my bedroom, a puppy pen for the kitchen (to keep him safe whilst I cook and feed him & the cats) and one for my office (I work from home) and a cheap one for the garden for potty purposes as a temporary measure until little one has grown a bit (I have some very large bushes where I could easily lose a puppy and the last thing I want to do is have to crawl through bushes etc in the middle of the night trying to find him).

10. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

Hi Fae Wolf! I could very end up with the same as you ;) We also pick our puppy up in just under 2.5 weeks, it's exciting isn't it?! Are you getting a boy or a girl and do you have a name yet? What colour is he/she?

11. Boogie

Welcome Fae_Wolf - I call that well prepared! ;D

zanacal - I did exactly that when I boarded a Guide Dog Puppy called Fifi (Tatze and her overdid the playing so had to have some time apart) Here is the photo -

[​IMG]

12. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

That looks great Boogie :) When you use the pen as a divider like that do you need to attach it to anything at the sides? I wonder if I could set my living room up in a quadrant for my 4 children?!! :p

13. Fae_Wolf

Hi Zanacal,

He is a fox red labrador called Shadow :)

14. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

You're so organised :) I've spent about 4 days trying to choose a colour for our dog's collar - which will no doubt need replacing after a few weeks anyway! We don't know which pup is ours yet and I'm hoping that a name will suit her once we do :)

15. Fae_Wolf

What colour is your dog?

As for names, I live on my own and work from home so it is "Me & My Shadow" ;D

As for being organised, I am a project manager and if I cannot organise my life then heaven help me with organising customers !!!

16. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

Perfect! Ours is chocolate coloured.

17. Fae_Wolf

Was looking for a Chocolate lab initially, but when I came across Fox Red labs and I fell in love with them.

18. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

They are beautiful, we were looking at them too :)

19. Boogie

[quote author=zanacal link=topic=9768.msg144214#msg144214 date=1424203522]
    That looks great Boogie :) When you use the pen as a divider like that do you need to attach it to anything at the sides?
    [/quote]

I didn't, but you might need to depending on how it was standing :)

20. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

[quote author=Fae_Wolf link=topic=9768.msg144222#msg144222 date=1424205034]

As for names, I live on my own and work from home so it is "Me & My Shadow" ;D

As for being organised, I am a project manager and if I cannot organise my life then heaven help me with organising customers !!!
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Welcome from me and my chocolate girl Bella - we're in Idaho - a distinct minority in this crowd! ;) ;)