Crate problem brewing

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Debs, Jul 18, 2014.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Crate problem brewing

Debs, do you think this is about Maisie being away from you rather than anything to do with the crate maybe? Perhaps you only see the reluctance to go in the crate because that's the cue you are leaving. Looking back over what you have written, it seems it might be about being apart from you?

2. Debs

Debs Registered Users

I think that your are right Julie. There is definitely an element of separation problems here, but, she has never seen her crate as her den or safe place since day 1. I'm going to continue with leaving her for short times in the day and build up slowly, but without of the crate. Perhaps some of the separation anxiety may go as she gets older?

3. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Yes I was wondering about a separation anxiety element of things, especially as you said she goes a bit mad when you return. Are you home with her everyday or do you work?

I don't think separation anxiety is a problem they ever really grow out of. You need to work on it, hard, and if you feel you do have a true separation anxiety issue then it might be best to get advice from a behaviourist as these problems can become serious.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Debs link=topic=7011.msg95884#msg95884 date=1405840206]
    Perhaps some of the separation anxiety may go as she gets older?
    [/quote]

I don't know - I've never dealt with it myself. From what I've read though, I don't think they grow out of it, and it can be a tricky thing. We usually say on the forum to get professional advice (via a vet's recommendation) because dealing with it is so specific to how the dog behaves.

I know some other people on the forum have more experience though.

If you really think that you have a separation anxiety problem, it might be best to test that and try to tackle it?

5. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Lauren, I'm at home all day with her. I try to leave her at least once a day on her own at home for a little while and also sometimes while I'm in the house. Perhaps I've caused a problem by being with her too much.

My dog trainer is also a behaviorist, so I think I'll have a chat with her.

6. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Well, a little bit of success I think (hope ::))

Yesterday we left Maisie in the utility room with the crate and her bed for about 20 minutes, only a little bit of whining to start with and she was quiet when we got back and not too over excited.

Last night I removed her crate and put a larger bed in that a friend had lent me. It's huge and way too big for her, but her other bed is now really too small, so I put her other bed in it with lots of toys. Bed at 11pm without a fuss and I didn't hear from her until 6am, ignored her until 6.15. She was desperate to go outside.

So, maybe it was the crate that was the problem? Lets hope so! :)

7. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Well it sounds like you might have cracked it. I guess some dogs just really don't take to the crate no matter how hard we try.

8. Debs

Debs Registered Users

I hope so Lauren.....onwards and upwards ;D

9. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Glad you had a good night. I've never used a crate and like you I'm at home most of the time (or if not me then my adult son). However if she is left for an hour, she simply sleeps. (Mind you when I'm home she chews things - just caught the little monkey a moment ago gnawing on one of the dining room chairs!) We certainly never have damage at night (with the proviso that we don't leave shoes, glasses, books etc. lying around) and never have to get up in the night - so being crate-less can work.

10. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Thank Joy. Thankfully Maisie is not a chewer! Last night I left two pairs of shoes in the utility room by mistake and they were still in one piece this morning! Phew! I've just left her in the utility room for half an hour while I had a shower, not a peep from her. I don't think she has a nap, she was just sitting in her bed.

Fingers crossed this is the start of a new phase of being able to leave her without all the stress of being crated. ;D ;D

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Woohoo :) that's really good news. Hope it continues :) Harley is happier since her crate went :)

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I have just put Lilly's crate up in the kitchen for a visitor coming tomorrow for a holiday.
    Not quite sure yet who is going in it - Lilly seems to have claimed it already. She is still very attached to it, even though we haven't used it for well over a year (apart from holidays).
    I guess the are all different!.......