Crate size

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Olivia__, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Olivia__

Olivia__ Registered Users

[​IMG] Do you think this crate will be big enough when she's fully grown. There she is lying down. He mum was quite short and her dad was a large lab. Both working labs. Is it hard to say or do you think I'll definitely need another as she gets bigger? [​IMG]

2. xxryu139xx

xxryu139xx Registered Users

I use a 42 inch crate as his main stay in the basement. Plenty of room. We also had a 36 inch crate in the living room, while he was able to fit in it and lay down curled up, when he sits he is hunched over. So we replaced that also with a 42 inch crate and now he has plenty of room.

Olivia__ likes this.
  3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

My crate is 24"w x 30"h x 36" long. Oban is about 67 pounds ( 30.? kg) and is 23" high at his withers. The crate is really too small for comfortable lying down. If one spot gets hot he has no where to move to find a cooler spot. I don't use it, really. When he was a puppy I left the door to the crate open and gated him in the kitchen. He often moved in and out of the crate to get cool.

Olivia__ likes this.
  4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It really depends how long she'll be in there. If just for sleeping, then probably (although with the spread of sizes of dogs on this forum, it's impossible to say for sure). But if she's being left for hours at a time, I'd look at a bigger one or a pen - or puppy-proofing a room, such as your kitchen.
    Working Labs come in such a range of sizes. My Willow is around breed standard height and pretty svelte at 23.5kg. @Beanwood's Bramble has a similar physique but is the size of a small horse and weighs in at around 30kg, I believe?

5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

34kg....at the last weigh in..:rolleyes:

snowbunny likes this.
  6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Brambles crate is 107cm x 70cm x 79cm(L x W x H) As a puppy she used this inside a pen, then just the crate but not for more than a couple of hours at a time, as well as sleeping in there overnight. My chocolate boy also uses the same size crate and he is 22 inches at the withers and weighs around 28 kg.