Crate training

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Carebear32, Feb 25, 2014.

1. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Re: Crate training

Yes, I did use it from the first night - it becomes their safe spot from day one that way. I did have it next to my bed though, so she knew I was still there and that she hadn't been abandoned! She had a fleece blanket in it that I had given to her breeder a couple of weeks before I collected her, so it smelt familiar and comforting.

Good luck with your puppy, and hope you discover lots of useful information on this forum.
    Clare

2. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Thanks Clare, how long did you keep her in the bedroom (or is she still there!). A blanket is a great idea. :)
    Debs

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I used the crate from the first night too, it was in the living room but the old dog slept on the couch next to it, so she didn't feel alone and slept through the night.

Sue, that is a lovely photo…

4. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Hmm... not long... trying to remember exactly. Think it was about 3 or 4 nights? Not much longer, if it was. By then I was pretty happy that I knew when she would need to go out, and so she had her crate in the kitchen and I set an alarm for just before what I thought the crucial time would be.

The breeder was very good, and I had dropped off a soft toy and the blanket, and she made sure that they were both properly puppy stinky for her home coming!
    Clare

5. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Thanks for replying....can't wait to get my new friend! ;D ;D

6. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Crate is a must here. We have 7 children and apart from the crate being great for toilet training and keeping them out of stuff etc etc it also gives the pup a break from the kids and also the kids a break from the pup. Lol the biting, jumping, scratching etc can be hard for the kids too :D