Crazy Dog in the House

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Brunosmamma, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Brunosmamma

Brunosmamma Registered Users

Our 7 month yellow lab is amazing and wonderful. He is kept in a large pen in the garage (heated converted) when he isn't outside or on walks. The problem is, when he comes inside in the evening he acts like a wild beast! he will sit on his bed and chew and we play but then it is like a switch flips and he walks or runs around looking for things to break, grab, eat, break, swallow, etc. I know we need to have him in more but it is what it is. we try and things have gotten better but what do we do when he is in and acts like this? it is not enjoyable for us. Please train us to train him :)

2. Bud Light/Dilly Dilly

Bud Light/Dilly Dilly Registered Users

I think you answered your own question right there. If he's not in the house a lot, he's not going to be used to his surroundings and is not going to know what he can and cannot do, especially as a young puppy. Add the fact that if he is out in the garage by himself, he's building up more energy and is bound to be super excited when he sees everyone in the house. I don't think there is really an easy fix it solution. You just have to be there to watch him while he's inside and to redirect him to things you want him to be doing. Train him inside with high reward food to motivate him to do the things you would like him to do. Take the things you don't want him chewing on out of the room. If he happens to find something to chew on anyway, redirect him to a toy and give him a treat when he stops. Like I said, it's just repetition until they understand what they can and cannot do. I would definitely consider letting him in the house more often so that he can get more familiar with that environment and being around everyone at once in the house. They are labs. They love to be around their owners. ALL OF THE TIME. I love that about them. Also remember with these labs, food is your best friend. Use it to your advantage. Just my 2 cents.