Crufts again!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Mar 13, 2016.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I feel so disgusted that he was chosen as best of breed and agree he should never of got through to any stage of the show :mad:

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I did the GSDs this afternoon....as I finished the book (I need to practice my dot placement, I'm not very skilled yet). I wasn't going to post it, but now you mention it....

I just spent half an hour staring at the photo thinking "but, but just WHERE is the ischium????"

Ummm......not sure this is right, looks crazy enough to be right though....:(:(:(

[​IMG]GSD dots by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

To be honest, all we need to ask the KC to do is to make sure judges uphold its own breed standard. Here is an extract from the KC's breed standard for the GSD:

Body
    Length measured from point of shoulder to point of buttock, slightly exceeding height at withers. Correct ratio 10 to 9 or 8 and a half. Undersized dogs, stunted growth, high-legged dogs, those too heavy or too light in build, over-loaded fronts, too short overall appearance, any feature detracting from reach or endurance of gait, undesirable. Chest deep (45-48 per cent) of height at shoulder, not too broad, brisket long, well developed. Ribs well formed and long; neither barrel-shaped nor too flat; allowing free movement of elbows when gaiting. Relatively short loin. Belly firm, only slightly drawn up. Back between withers and croup, straight, strongly developed, not too long. Overall length achieved by correct angle of well laid shoulders, correct length of croup and hindquarters. The topline runs without any visible break from the set on of the neck, over the well defined withers, falling away slightly in a straight line to the gently sloping croup. The back is firm, strong and well muscled. Loin broad, strong, well muscled. Weak, soft and roach backs undesirable and should be heavily penalised. Croup slightly sloping and without any break in the topline, merges imperceptibly with the set on of the tail. Short, steep or flat croups highly undesirable.

- See more at: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/standard.aspx?id=5106#sthash.dDrCogi3.dpuf

Hindquarters
    Overall strong, broad and well muscled, enabling effortless forward propulsion. Upper and lower thigh are approximately of equal length. Hind angulation sufficient if imaginary line dropped from point of buttocks cuts through lower thigh just in front of hock, continuing down slightly in front of hindfeet. Angulations corresponding approximately with front angulation, without over-angulation. Seen from rear, the hind legs are straight and parallel to each other. The hocks are strong and firm. The rear pasterns are vertical. Any tendency towards over-angulation of hindquarters, weak hocks, cow hocks or sickle hooks, is to be heavily penalised as this reduces firmness and endurance in movement.

- See more at: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/standard.aspx?id=5106#sthash.dDrCogi3.dpuf

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

In my opinion it is cruel to breed a dog with such a deformed back end. The breeders seem to exaggerate part of a dog, the roach back of a Cocker (it looks as if it is hunting well) the back end of the GSD, the sqaushed face of a Boxer etc etc. and forget about the overall balance and function of a dog.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Rosamund and pippa@labforumHQ like this.
  7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

That is far better and as it should be.

8. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

That was shocking, judging a dog so deformed to be best in breed. It made me cry. When they were talking on the couch this evening, they said maybe the answer is to ban the breed from competition, surely it's to ban the judge? To ban the breed would stifle any improvement. That judge should never, ever judge again.

9. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Disgusting. Makes me so angry :mad:

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Nearly as good as the angles on the winning Labrador. ;) :D:D:D

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I was really shocked by this :mad:

niclibrarylady likes this.
  12. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I'm just lost for words that anyone could believe that this dog could possibly be the best in breed. Where are the controls that allow a judge to put this dog through when it is obvious, even to an untrained eye, that this dog does not meet the breed standard. Shame on the KC for actively promoting this type of exaggerated breeding and reward it.

13. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Shocking and so sad for the breed!

I owned a GSD back in the eighties and he looked NOTHING like that poor deformed dog. Makes me wonder what the other entries were like, did they all have the same roached backs and weak hind legs?

charlie likes this.
  14. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I only saw the GSD briefly tonight, so sad to see :(:(:(

On a happier note, that little Westie was so darn cute :)

charlie likes this.
  15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

The poor GSD not only looked in bad shape but he looked so worried too, so upsetting to see :(:(

Loooovvvee the little Westie - Devon, a worthy winner although I was secretly hoping James the Gordon Setter would win. x

MaccieD likes this.
  16. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Heart breaking to see this poor dog in the ring , clearly suffering :( I also hoped the Gordon would win but that Westie is just lovely , at least he looked happy and healthy.

17. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Apart from dreadful conformation, the poor dog looked very scared, simply on his temperement he should not have won anything, let alone being crippled.

JulieT likes this.
  18. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Snap! Thought the Whippet looked good too.

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  19. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Heartbreaking. My nan had two GSD's back in the 1970's and they looked nothing like that thank goodness. I wish I had some pictures, they were gorgeous.

20. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

It's so wrong when a dog is obviously distressed to keep it in the ring, even if not in such a bad way as this dog was.