Crufts again!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Mar 13, 2016.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

That would be some kind of undertaking :)

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Still, it's a good idea. After all, how difficult can it be, really?

You need a breed standard - bit of a faff to write, but not all that difficult. Include things like straight backs, and the dog being thin. Additional, sensible stuff like that.
    Sponsorship, marketing, prizes....
    Do you even need a register of pedigree dogs? I'd say no, that's all problematic anyway - let's get rid of all that.
    Add a fit for function test, and a temperament test too though....

So in the morning, your dog has got to do a gundog display (off lead) - or something breed appropriate, anyway. So if your Labrador can't fetch a dummy - big fat fail.
    Lunchtime, dog has to meet other dogs, people, fireworks.
    Afternoon, show ring.

And you're good to go. :)

Karen, drjs@5, charlie and 2 others like this.
  3. pippa@labforumHQ

Totally

It isn't going to happen. Change your worldview? wipe out your life's work?

That would be a NO

So the changes have got to come from outside, and be imposed on breeders unilaterally.

And I also think is it important we don't demonise these people. There is a bit of a baying mob going on on Facebook with some awful things being said. I don't see any need for it at all.

These breeders and judges are wrong. They have made terrible decisions, and messed up another dog breed, but this has happened gradually over time with the full awareness and for the most part permission, of the powers that be who govern their hobby of exhibiting. With everyone around them doing the same thing, it must have been easy to convince themselves they were right. But it doesn't make them monsters.

The reason this has been able to happen is because too much power has been given to breed clubs to decide the fate of animals that the whole human race has an interest in. Breed clubs have not been forced to maintain breed standards or to educate their members on biomechanics, genetics health, etc. In fact if you read the comment from dog breeders, on blogs like Jemima's its hard not to get the impression that the overall level of education and understanding of canine issues, amongst dog breeders, is not high.

How we improve on that, I'm not sure, but I can imagine the KC have put some thought into it.

MaccieD likes this.
  4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

5. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Very much agree with this. There is no doubt that the breeders (and judges) love and care for their dogs, they are not "cruel" - just misguided. Education has to be the key, as well as strong leadership from the top levels of the KC.

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sorry but I still don't have any sympathy for the breeder or the judge because they should know better. If we as the public can see what's wrong why can't they?

Christoph W likes this.
  7. Peter

Peter Registered Users

@charlie you do have a point but, i'm afraid behind this it's just human greed when there's money involved you can't expect things to do the right way, behind all of this someone is surely getting money.
    @Rosie Some do and it's true but most are after the money, that's why some breeds have problems like gsd. I could give you an example one of italians breeds the Cane Corso , which is such a beautiful dog but over the courses of the years it got destroyed by breeding it to get bigger heads, etc

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yes Peter I totally agree with you. What annoys and makes me angry is that maybe the breeder of that GSD has bred and sold puppies to unsuspecting buyers that could possibly be faced with similar issues. That stinks but not to worry because the breeder has made her cash :mad:

There's always an issue at Crufts, a few years ago the breeder of a Pekingese was under scrutiniy because he had to suppor the dogs head so that it could breathe - good grief when will it all stop, the problem is it won't because there is always money to be made and to hell with the poor animals and the owners and potential owners :( It's all just too emotional for me :(:(

edzbird, kateincornwall and Peter like this.
  9. Peter

Peter Registered Users

Sadly this will always be the case... seems like only working lines are going to be healthy at some point, while show lines might end up ending with lots of health problems

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

All lines whether they are working or show lines will always have health problems.

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Its a case of "The Emperor and his new clothes".
    Apologies to anyone not familiar with this fable.

People get dragged along in their own protective bubble and can't see the wood for the trees.
    Until someone points it out. And then we have the modern-day phenomenon of going viral.

Just an observation and an acknowledgement of how this can happen.
    Kudos to those who will stand up and say "but you are wrong". Its a tough job and causes hatred but it needs to be done.

12. Peter

Peter Registered Users

@charlie True but take a look at the photo of a Gsd from working line posted by JulieT and confront it with any normal showline Gsd. They do have that weird back but not like the one in the video, i wonder what will happen with showlines if they keep at it

13. pippa@labforumHQ

:(

14. pippa@labforumHQ

Because they suffer from breed blindness. The changes have been gradual and all validated by everyone they care about and respect. So those changes are, for them, the norm.

What other reasons could there be? No normal human being would deliberately make a dog look horrid and deformed on purpose. They do it because they don't see it as abnormal. Or as a deformity.

I think it is a mistake to think of these breeders as evil people who have set out to destroy a breed - it wouldn't be in anyone's interest, certainly not their own, for them to do that.

Oberon, MaccieD, Lochan and 1 other person like this.
  15. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, I agree with this.

These breeders are not evil. But they are totally blind to what they are doing and often will ignore veterinary advice not to breed from an animal because that animal is of a particular type which does well in the show ring. A classic example is atopic disease, which is an hereditary predisposition to develop allergic skin disease. I lost count many years ago of the number of breeders of all sorts of breeds that I have counselled to avoid breeding from a particular animal as it suffers from this condition which is known to be hereditary and is likely to affect the offspring. The usual response is "but all (insert breed of choice) chew their feet it is normal for the breed and Fluffy is a show champion you know". As you say Pippa, these abnormalities become normal in the breeders world and the breeders/owners/handlers of these dogs do not see there is a problem. And when that poor sad frightened crippled specimen of a GSD was shown at Crufts the breeder will no doubt have been shocked and angered at the public response and will mentally shelter behind the wall of "the public know nothing about GSD's anyway, this is normal for the breed".

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I'm not saying these breeders are evil at all just that I don't have any sympathy for them and if they are breed blind then it's up to the public, vets, anyone who can make them listen, see, change their views and stop this awful breeding. I am all for giving people the benefit of the doubt but not in this case.

[QUOTE="editor, post: 210582, member:[/QUOTE]
    No normal human being would deliberately make a dog look horrid and deformed on purpose.[/QUOTE]

In my view some do as per my point about the Pekingese, the breeder as I understand it, bred his dogs to have a more squashed flat face so the poor animal couldn't breathe unless supported, isn't that deliberate? :confused:

17. pippa@labforumHQ

I'm not explaining myself very well. :) Yes what they are doing is deliberate in that they choose to create a certain appearance in the dog -

But they don't deliberately set out to make the dog look "horrid and deformed". They don't see what they have created as being either horrid, or a deformity.

Does that make more sense :)

Rosie likes this.
  18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

The pekinese was awful too. Poor animal could barely waddle around the ring. The whole thing makes me sick.

kateincornwall and charlie like this.
  19. pippa@labforumHQ

I agree Karen. It is a massive tragedy for dogs. The problem is, how to stop it? A lot of people have been campaigning for a long time now, and with very little effect. :(

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yes it makes perfect sense to me but WHY DOESN'T SOMEONE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT?

Surely if you have to support your dogs head in order for it to be breathe you must know that's wrong and inhumane, they cannot be that breed blind.

Christoph W likes this.