Crufts

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Karen, Mar 7, 2014.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Crufts

[quote author=hd link=topic=4775.msg59944#msg59944 date=1394473458]
    Me me!

waves hand v high.

went to Birmingham on Friday night and came back after best in show on sunday.

loved every minute.

[/quote]

Good for you! ;D ;D ;D

Very jealous (particularly as I've just put my tickets in the bin :( ). I'll be booking early for next year, that's for sure.

2. hd

hd Registered Users

That was a lot of cash in the bin. Poor you. Dont know which day will be gundog day next year suspect work day which will upset the children.

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Glad you had a great time!

What did you think of him in the flesh? Does the camera add 10lbs :) :)

Curious to know more about that :)

4. hd

hd Registered Users

Now im not a show dog person but the way he is shown is the majority of what makes him special. Hes a big old boy but then hes not bigger than the rest of them. Hes ramped up and excited before he does his stuff which makes him seem such a happy friendly dog and it seems to encapsulate the labrador personality. I rather liked him and definitely didnt expect .

what particularly re the apdt lady? I asked why she was clicker training in a way id never seen before she clicked byt only treated 1 in 3. I thought this was verboten. She said dog was old hand and found noise gratifying enough and that he was working over a long period and would become over treated. Nice lady. Clicked down her microphone.

I forgot dogs for deaf which us my favourite charity. They were nice and busy which was great.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

hd, what was the gundog display like?

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=4775.msg59973#msg59973 date=1394479346]
    I was struck by their relaxed/sloppy sits in the main picture (thinking of Choccie Charlie)
    [/quote]

Uh huh...yup. I too looked at that Choccy in the middle (way out west) and thought "oh, it's a family trait". ;D ;D ;D

8. hd

hd Registered Users

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=4775.msg59986#msg59986 date=1394481059]
    hd, what was the gundog display like?
    [/quote]

it was philippa williams. It was very good but similar to last year which is on you tube. I think she does a very good job and makes it an enjoyable watch. The dogs make mistakes or one of the team does and they make it so much fun. She has a very hyped up cocker called secret that makes a lot of noise but he is a star and people go to just see him.

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=editor link=topic=4775.msg59934#msg59934 date=1394471359]
    I was disappointed by that. For a moment I thought that this dog "Quincy" was the winner - as reported by the slimdoggy facebook page, but it was the Veteran class that he won.

I think he is a better looking dog than Romeo
    [/quote]

Yep, agree, nice looking dog.

Hd, you are so lucky!! Would love to hear more about what you thought of the Labradors.

10. Indy

Indy Registered Users

11. hd

hd Registered Users

I learned that showing dogs was as much about the handler as the dog. Plus the dog has to enjoy it as its a long, tiring, hot day if you're not into it.

some people just trot their dogs round. Others are more stylised which is fascinating as it majes the dog look completely different.

The gamekeepers ring was a very interesting event. Some classes are for dogs worked on shoots and dont need any other paperwork to be there.. there were the very definite working dogs and then the ones who might work but might not. There was an American Cocker in full show clip and a sussex that could barely trot never mind run.

The judge for the lab dogs in the gamekeepers ring went for stockier labs rather than the Eevee end of the lab world.

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=hd link=topic=4775.msg60059#msg60059 date=1394526948]
    The judge for the lab dogs in the gamekeepers ring went for stockier labs rather than the Eevee end of the lab world.
    [/quote]

Having difficulty figuring out the results.

http://basc.org.uk/gundogs/basc-at-crufts/crufts-results-2014/

The Lab that seems to have won the The Malmesbury Trophy is listed as "withdrawn"? Why would that be, I wonder? Did it fail the health check?

The second place went to Garronpoint Fane - but I can't even find a picture of this dog.

Am I reading the results all wrong?

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hurstmeon Wild Bill Hickok at Leospring

Seems to have won in the gamekeepers' ring (the working dog - a gamekeeper must confirm that the dog is a regular worker on a shoot).

I am having a bit of difficulty figuring out the results though.

It seems to be this [size=14pt]chocolate[/size] dog:

http://leospring.moonfruit.com/#/billy/4554333844

Who has the same greatgrandad as Charlie. :)

Is this right? Where are all the vids and pictures? V difficult to find!

14. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=4775.msg59826#msg59826 date=1394405128]
    [quote author=charlie link=topic=4775.msg59809#msg59809 date=1394402322]
    Why isn't the King Charles Spaniel in the Gundog section? ???
    [/quote]

I thought the King Charles and the Tibetan spaniel were bred as companion dogs, not gundogs. I might have that completely wrong, of course, knowing not much about spaniels apart from that I want one!
    [/quote]

The Tibetan spaniel is not a real spaniel, but got its name from its resemblance to a King Charles spaniel. Neither breed were ever hunting dogs but always regarded as lap dogs. :)

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Very interesting to watch Indy's clip of the gundgog demo, all so very beautiful and no tubby ones :).

Why was the Flatcoat on a short handle like lead? ???

I like the way Philippa trains, so calm and happy, why can't all gundog trainers be like that :(

16. heidrun

[quote author=charlie link=topic=4775.msg60095#msg60095 date=1394533989]
    Very interesting to watch Indy's clip of the gundgog demo, all so very beautiful and no tubby ones :).

Why was the Flatcoat on a short handle like lead? ???

I like the way Philippa trains, so calm and happy, why can't all gundog trainers be like that :(
    [/quote]

Philippa answers that question about the short lead in the clip. It is a young dog and prevention is always better than cure, that short lead is handy to stop the dog running in for example. The advantage is that it doesn't drag on the floor when the dog is working away from the handler.

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Heidrun, I didn't get very good sound quality so I couldn't hear what Philippa said.

18. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Fantastic vid of the Philippa Williams display, thanks Indy for posting the link. What fantastic dogs, and you're right- lovely calm and relaxed response to it all from Philippa.

19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Lovely display with keen and happy dogs. I didn't think that the Labradors were very typey but I loved the Goldies.

20. heidrun

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=4775.msg60202#msg60202 date=1394564535]
    Lovely display with keen and happy dogs. I didn't think that the Labradors were very typey but I loved the Goldies.
    [/quote]

Rachael, the labs looked very true to working bred labradors to me. Pretty much like all the labs I see on shoots here. :D