Curious new behaviour in 4-year old

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Deejay50, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Deejay50

Deejay50 Registered Users

Ted will be 4 in May. I haven’t posted in a long time because he’s such a great dog to have around. No real behavioural problems that we can’t deal with, but this new one is puzzling us. As a background, there have been no changes in his address, diet, exercise routine or health. He has just started almost obsessive scratching at the carpet, our rugs and his bed. The carpet is covered in scratch marks. I watched him in action yesterday after he came in from our walk in the park. It was curious. He scratched rapidly at the rug, then did a mini zoom round the room, scratched at another rug until I got him to calm down. The scratching action on the carpet is as if he’s excavating a hole. Temperamentally he is a wonderful companion, very affectionate. The odd half hearted single bark if he hears a car door close outside, rather more exuberant if someone comes to the door, but he soon loses interest. He is in perfect shape according to the vet who treated him for mild conjunctivitis last month (now healed).
    We’re puzzled. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

2. Lablvr

Lablvr Registered Users

Hope he isn’t hearing critters under the floor.

3. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

New nettles coming through. A couple of mine are going crazy too. A piriton tablet works wonders.