Cystitis

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by David, Jul 18, 2013.

1. David

David Registered Users

Just booked Lady into the vet this afternoon. I think she may have cystitis. Came down this morning to find a few dribble marks on the kitchen floor with what looked like it might have been a bit of blood. This morning she wanted to wee at least three times in the first half hour. Seems to point at Cystitis to me. What do you think? She's just chilling at the moment so not in any continuous discomfort.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Cystitis

Certainly would be my first thought.

I'm sure the vet will fix her up quickly :)

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

My thoughts too , and the hot weather wont be helping , dehydration can lead to tiddle probs, hoping she is ok at the Vets x

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor Lady, best to catch it early as it can be quite painful. Hope she will be OK David. Helen x

5. David

David Registered Users

Thanks - yes earliest I can get her to vet is 16:30. I'll see if I can get her to drink lots but don't hold out much hope of that. Anyway she seems comfortable at the moment - just surveying the garden through the open conservatory doors.

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Just a thought about drinking extra, maybe put some ice cubs or something like carrot sticks in her bowl and she may well find that interesting and drink a little extra whilst trying to retrieve the treat :D. Dogs are a bit like children, bribary and corruption are the order of the day ;) Good luck. Helen x

7. David

David Registered Users

Good idea - back in a mo!

8. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

I know of a greyhound who had recurrent bouts of cystitis (not that Lady will) that repeat antibiotics didn't totally fix, ultimately it was cured by adding the sugar mannose to her water.

9. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Certainly sounds like cystitis to me - remember your vet will be very grateful for a nice fresh clean urine sample going in with you for her appointment this afternoon!

10. David

David Registered Users

So how do you get that then. :eek:

11. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=David link=topic=2034.msg17450#msg17450 date=1374145422]
    So how do you get that then. :eek:
    [/quote]

Carefully?
    Damply?

;D ;D ;D

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

And with rubber gloves on.

13. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

dont know if the pharmacy have them , with children there is a little bag with a sticky end,...you put the sticky bit over the private and bingo the urine is in the bag :) nurse lynne

14. David

David Registered Users

Can you imagine me trying to do that with a 3 year old Lab. ;D

I'll just keep my fingers crossed I think. Having said that she's weeing all the time, of course after the morning walk all is normal. ::) Still taking her to the vet though.

15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=lynnelogan link=topic=2034.msg17463#msg17463 date=1374147994]
    dont know if the pharmacy have them , with children there is a little bag with a sticky end,...you put the sticky bit over the private and bingo the urine is in the bag :) nurse lynne
    [/quote]

that's genius although I'm pretty sure both dog and child would have other ideas :eek:

16. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

I have visions of small black dog taking off across the fields trailing her sticky bag behind her like a drogue shoot! ;D

This has worked for me - A large, clean, meat roasting dish / shallow pyrex dish carefully slid under the tail just after the squat, and decanted into a clean jam jar with very tightly fitting lid. Rubber gloves an optional (although recommended) extra.
    Your vet will love you, the smile that spreads across their face when you produce jar of yellow fluid just after they've said in a weary voice 'we'll need a urine sample' 8)

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Poor Lady do hope she is better soon... And good luck with the urine sample. When I had to collect one from Bones he clearly thought I'd turned into some kind of pervert and refused to pee near me at all... Picture me, sneaking up, sample bottle in hand, peeing Labrador spots me, stops stream mid flow and scarpers to bottom of the garden, where he relieves himself copiously until just before I reach him... This continued all day until I resorted to cruelty - gave him lots of water with a bit of chicken broth in, then didn't let him out until he was bursting... At which point I managed to catch a few drops before he resolutely switched the waterworks off again!! :eek:

18. David

David Registered Users

[smug mode on/]Girls are so much easier. Trotted her into the field and then just followed her with a plastic tray in hand. Squat - slide in tray - job done![smug mode off/]

She has a UTI so she's on a course of anti-biotics for the next 7 days. Hopefully it will hit it on the head. So glad I took her in straight away otherwise it would undoubtedly have got much worse fast. Vet impressed with the bottle of wee! ;D

19. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

poor lady.....antibiotics will kick in, in a cpl of days ....well done you :)

20. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh well done on your tiddle catching skills David , so pleased she has got some AB`s , they will sort it out for her, bless x