Daily amount of food.

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Giancarlo t, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Giancarlo t

Giancarlo t Registered Users

Hello everyone,

Do you think that 150 gr per day is enough for a three months lab? Means 3 meals of 50 grams per day?? Treats for training should be included in this 150 gr??

That s what the label on the food says but I am not sure if it is enough... I don't want to starve him and with lab it is almost impossible to understand if they ve had enough or not...
    I am seeking for advice.
    Thank you

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

That doesn’t sound like very much but it’s a while now since we were at that stage. Are you feeding a kibble recommended for a large breed dog?
    If you are still feeding the breeder recommended food I would get in touch with them and see what they say or phone the food manufacturer helpline.
    Adult dog kibble is usually over generous and you have to play around with it to get the right amount for the activity level of your dog.
    It is really important for a puppy to get it right for their development.

3. Giancarlo t

Hello J.D, yes it doesn't sound right to me neither. I am using the one which the breeder where I took my lab suggested me to use.

At the beginning we weren't really following this 150 gr per day we were more around 180 plus treats. But then reading on Internet all about overweight and bones problems and stuff so we decided to cut 150.. which I see my dog is not happy at all. He has increased chowing table legs and what even worse the pee pad.

I ll talk to vet and I ll see what to do
    Thank you very much for your answer

4. J.D

J.D Registered Users

The chewing could just be part of the teething process. Make sure there are plenty of alternatives. Frozen Kongs, someone mentioned old twisted tea towels frozen(presumably wet?)
    Also proper supervision so he doesn’t get chance be be destructive and lots of play.
    Check the food bag feeding guides so you are feeding the final weight of adult dog not current weight. Some differ in instructions.

5. Giancarlo t

Thanks for your advice, just a question what do you mean "so you are feeding the final weight of adult",? The feeding guides says: 12 weeks, 10 kg ( mine is around 8.5) 155gr. That s what I am feeding him...

Yes lot of play..frozen kongs we go out 3 times per day 15 minutes each time as he still a puppy no fully vaccinated. Reading also we should apply the role of 5 minutes per months but honestly ... not really following it. We live in apt no garden so this little boy needs to discover the world with all the precautions.

6. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Because a 12 week old chihuahua would need less food than a 12week old Greatdane some dog food manufacturers give the dosage by final adult weight of dog if it isn’t for a specific breed.
    When you have the final injection your pup will be weighed so the vet will let you know if it is the right amount.

7. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

What does your puppy look like weight-wise? If he is not too fat, or too thin, then I wouldn't be too concerned with the weight.

8. Giancarlo t

Oki got you.. make sense..