daily routine

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by lynnelogan, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: daily routine

Well done, Julie, great work.

With luring, I'd definitely have the food right against his nose (protected by your fingers so he can't eat it till he's where you want him).

When I'm teaching the heel position (as in sit automatically at my left leg when I say 'heel') I do not move my feet. The dog has to learn the he is responsible for achieving the right position and that you will not come to him. But I do do a bit of thigh slapping initially :)

Once you've mastered the broom cupboard try the corner of a room or something like that. Once you're happy that he's got the concept and is sitting straight and close, add the movement ('static turns') where you turn 90 degrees to the right on the spot. Next session try 180 deg, then 270 then 360. At a later point you can teach this in reverse (going backward, butt first) but I'd leave that for now. Try to keep your right leg still(ish) and always make the first move with your left leg. You want the left leg to be the principal cue, eventually.

In contrast, when teaching stays, move off with your right leg first. Left leg = move with me. Right leg = don't move at all.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Rachael - thanks so much, I'll do all of that. You've told me about the left leg, right leg thing before, I realised in the field today that I wasn't consistent. I'll try harder to remember, I think it would really help lots of things.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sorry for the repetition - I had a feeling I'd already said it ;D

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

No! It's good to repeat things! I'm so slow - I guess it's an experience thing. Seems to be so much to remember to do consistently. I think more probably becomes automatic with experience. Like the sit at heel thing - my trainer just said "sort that out". Next time I'm not going to just nod and say "yes, ok"!

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3295.msg36150#msg36150 date=1384730453]
    No! It's good to repeat things! I'm so slow - I guess it's an experience thing. Seems to be so much to remember to do consistently. I think more probably becomes automatic with experience. Like the sit at heel thing - my trainer just said "sort that out". Next time I'm not going to just nod and say "yes, ok"!
    [/quote]

I couldn't agree more Julie, I need things repeating to me as I forget in an instant and I have to keep looking back at replies to my endless
    questions ::)

The experienced people on this forum must get so fed up with the inexperienced :eek:

6. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Clare - I've seen those, the luring really didn't work (outside the broom cupboard) - the first vid you posted was the one I started looking at.

I really haven't been clear about what I'm trying to do, I don't think (sometimes I wonder if it's straight in my mind). The best explanation I can find on line (although it's not exactly the same, and I'm not following these techniques) is here:

http://www.northernflight.com/pivoting.htm

8. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3295.msg36230#msg36230 date=1384782789]
    The best explanation I can find on line (although it's not exactly the same, and I'm not following these techniques) is here:

[/quote]

I tried following this article along with his little diagrams, but it got to the point where I wasn't sure if it was dog training or auditioning for Strictly...
    Good luck!

I find I need everything in Youtube format - so I can watch many, many times!
    Clare

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=ClareJ link=topic=3295.msg36246#msg36246 date=1384792263]
    I tried following this article along with his little diagrams, but it got to the point where I wasn't sure if it was dog training or auditioning for Strictly...
    Good luck!
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D

Rachael explained it much better! I've just posted a vid of today's progress. We've got to step one...which is on the first vid you linked to, and is the first step in the article (with the help of a wall... ::) ::)).

All good fun!

10. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3295.msg36230#msg36230 date=1384782789]
    Thanks Clare - I've seen those, the luring really didn't work (outside the broom cupboard) - the first vid you posted was the one I started looking at.

I really haven't been clear about what I'm trying to do, I don't think (sometimes I wonder if it's straight in my mind). The best explanation I can find on line (although it's not exactly the same, and I'm not following these techniques) is here:

[/quote]

We were doing something very similar today, it was all about getting Riley to line up properly and hold the line as he's sent. We've basically got to this point by having decent heel work on the move and then gradually I've reduced the forward travel until I can just step into Riley(turning left) and he readjusts away from me to be square again and when I step away from him( turning right) I tap my leg as I would to get him to heel and he moves with me....this direction is generally a little less tidy and needs work. It all started whilst on the move though :D